October 26, 1860

There were no goodbyes, no dinner and dance, just my new husband leading me to his buggy, and a long trip to my new home.

He just sat next to me without saying a word.

"Where might this new home be, Mr. Westlake?" I asked.

"Mauckport, just south of Corydon on the River. We will be boarding a steamboat soon." Is all he said, but maybe I'll actually be getting my adventure on the river after all.

Our buggy and three wagons stopped in Aurora, and we boarded a steamboat just as promised. I was led to a stateroom and Mr. Westlake disappeared, so I went on the hunt for Mae.

"Mae!" I hugged her the moment I saw her, and she smiled ear to ear. "Please say you are satisfied with that handsome young man." She said.

"He only told me we are going west to Mauckport. He's not much of a talker, so I can't say I know just yet. How has everyone treated you so far?" I asked.

"No different than usual. I must say I heard we have quite a few hours of travel." She said.

"Yes, let's go watch the scenery." I took her hand, and we went to the windowed dining area.

We talked about what we pictured our new home to be, and daydreamed about her new possible opportunities. I made my parents include Mae in our marriage contract, as I want her protected and safe from possible hate from the new town. Mae might have darker skin than myself, and look different from their social circles, but she is the most incredible, beautiful, and intellectual girl I've ever known.

My father brought Mae and her mother to our home when we were just small children, and when her mother passed, my parents raised her as their own. Mae isn't just my closest friend and confidant, she's my sister. She deserves every luxury I have, and every opportunity. No matter what others think, she is my equal. In all fairness, she deserves more than me with her ability to comply with rules and present herself with grace. I'm like a bull in a china shop at times, my tantrums have been known to cost a pretty penny when I don't get my way.

I must have the best of everything, and I've never lifted a finger for a hard days work. I'll read any books I please, swim naked in a pond, drink spirits with boys, and sneak out at night. I am not ashamed of my wild and stubborn side.

"That poor Mr. Westlake has no idea what he just got himself into." Mae laughed.

"Well, I'm sure once he sees the real me, he will send us right back to my parents, unless we can take a steamboat just like this out to the west. I'm dying for an adventure." I said.

She sighed. "This isn't enough of an adventure, Naomi?"

"I guess only time will tell." I snickered.

Shockingly enough, Mr. Westlake joined us for dinner, and luckily for him, he didn't say one word about Mae sharing our dinner table. He made the right choice.

He spoke not one word over dinner, and when the meal was over, he once again disappeared.

Mae and I took a stroll around the boat, talked, and watched the scenery, until finally the boat docked. A very nice man led us to our awaiting buggy where Mr. Westlake was already waiting. He took my hand and helped me climb in like a gentleman, but he once again became cold and distant.

The home we came to a stop at was incredible! It was much larger than my parents, and had many more staff. They all lined up outside with oil lamps to light our way, and I was introduced to every single one.

Soon after, men were unloading my trunks from the wagons, but I didn't see Mae yet. I was told she was already shown to her quarters.

I followed a woman by the name of Claire to my room. She has red hair, and wore the same gray dress as the other women staff. She helped me out of all my dress layers, leaving me in nothing but my shimmy. She even helped remove the pins from my hair.

I took the brush from her and excused her for the evening.

"Mr. Westlake will be joining you shortly." She gave me a curtsy and left me alone.

All I could do is brush my hair, and hope my new husband is too tired to touch me. Hopefully he gives me a choice, because I have no plans to lay with him tonight, or ever as a matter of fact.

I heard the door open and I took a deep breath to prepare myself. I laid down my brush and stood in front of the window.

"You can relax, I have no plans to bed you tonight." He says.

I turned and looked at my handsome new husband. He just stood there looking at me. I broke our stare and walked over to the bed and slid in under the covers, then turned toward the wall and didn't say a word.

"This does not mean I won't ever bed you, Naomi. You're my wife now, and we have certain duties to each other. Hopefully, with time, you will grow to at least like me, and then we will create life." He said.

"It would be much easier to like you if you would just speak. I know nothing about you." I was faced away from him.

"With time we will grow more comfortable. Tomorrow, I will show you the property and tell you about some of my business affairs. We will also discuss what is expected of you as the lady of the house."  He said.

I can tell he is undressing, then I feel the bed sink as he climbs in beside me. I have never been so physically close to a man, so tonight most likely won't deliver much sleep for this tired soul.