May 15, 1865

The elder Mrs. Westlake will be returning with us to America.  Oliver has taken over his mother's affairs, and he had his brother sell her home in Boston.  She will be living with us in Maukport just as she did when her children were small. 

There's no need to go through Canada on our trip back.  It took five wagons to haul all of our trunks filled with all of our new clothing, furniture we bought, and the children's toys.  Oliver's investments in Europe proved to be extremely profitable, and the Westlake fortune has grown in worth far more substantial than even his father could have dreamed. 

Oliver is contemplating moving us and the business west to a small town called Madison, which is still along the river, but would put us much closer to Cincinnati, Ohio and a small whiskey town called Lawrenceburg, which is about 30 miles west of Cincinnati along the river. 

He plans to invest in the westward railroad lines, and he also believes leisure travel along these railroads and steamboats will be under demand.  Hotels, more investments into whiskey, and of course shipping, since the west is growing. 

I imagine this is what he was investing his time into before the war ended.  He told me all about it as we travel to Liverpool.  He also said he will be sending for our loved ones he once sent to Canada. 

Keeping Ethan fed during this journey was quite the chore.  I've got him on more solid foods, so one would think he would be satisfied. 

The rocking of the carriage was not helpful in the fight I have against nausea.  I was relieved when we reached the ship, but the first day at sea proved to be much worse.  I stayed in bed and vomited most of the day.  My Oliver was attentive, and it didn't take long for him to regret making the journey so early into this pregnancy. 

Claire and Mrs. Westlake cared for our children, while Oliver tended to me.  My husband is, in many ways, unlike most husbands.  We are the closest of friends, while the best lovers and partners.  Most men lay with their wife's to create life, then go about their business without a second thought.  I am my husbands most prized possession.  He never ignores my needs, and I never feel neglected.  He respects me and my need for freedom.  He encourages it actually, and treats me as his equal. 

I was sick, so sick in fact, he summoned the ship doctor and he looked me over.  The rough seas combined with the pregnancy, has proven to be more than my body was ready to handle.

Oliver tied my hair back and rubbed my back each time a got sick.  He apologized profusely, but it really wasn't necessary.  I ended up being sick for the first two days, then started to feel better.

The trip wasn't as cold this time, so we spent more time on the ship deck, which was nice with the kids.  The more prestigious passengers do not appreciate our children in the dining hall, so we ate dinner in our cabin, although Oliver mother knew quite a few upper class passengers and would have dinner with them.  A few nights Oliver did insist we have quiet dinners together and Claire kept the children.

When we finally arrived in Boston, we stayed as guests at his brother Willard and sister-in-law Katherine's home.  I don't belive my thoughts of women's freedom and my new dresses were to my sister-in-laws liking, but Oliver's mother enjoys my free thinking, and encouraged me to be myself and not conform to the snotty woman's demands.

He said his brother already left our home in Indiana, but we will be taking his youngest brother back with us so he can learn more about the family business from Oliver.  Norman is 21 now and did fight in the war, unlike Oliver's other brothers.  He was drafted close to the same time as Armstrong. 

I find Norman to be stiff, proper, and extremely intellegent.  He is quiet as my husband once was and kept to himself.  He attended Harvard University, unlike Oliver, who received his education in London. 

I also do not think he is comfortable with my free thinking, but he hasn't seen anything yet.

"Norman, do you enjoy riding by horseback?" I asked while just trying to make small talk. 

"I prefer it to walking." 

Really?  That's all he has to say?

"Do you have the interest of a woman's heart in Boston?" 

"I prefer to concentrate on the ways of our family business."

Dull!

"There are several available women in Indiana.  Maybe one will catch your eye." 

He just stared out the window and didn't acknowledge my statement.  Norman is tall, we'll built with sandy blonde hair and light blue eyes.  He shares some facial features, but is much more fare than his darker haired brother. 

When the grueling trip finally came to an end, our carriage pulled up to our large stately mansion high on the hill in Mauckport.  Mae ran out the front door, and I moved as fast as I could to reach her.  She is also with child, but several months ahead of my pregnancy. 

I've never hugged my sister so tightly. She spotted the twins, but I went the other direction following their father to greet Patrick.  The moment I saw him, I ran into his arms and he swung me around like he also missed me as much as I did him. 

"Welcome back!"  I noticed Norman had a put off look on his face, but helped Patrick and Oliver with our belongings.  "They'll be busy the rest of the evening." I said, and we both laughed. 

"Mae, please meet Oliver's mother, Anna.  Anna, this is my sister Mae.  She is wedded to Patrick who is helping unload our belingings."

"I am so very pleased to meet you, Mae.  Naomi has told me such wonderful things about you and Patrick both."

We all worked together to get us settled and unpacked.  Mae had a delicious meal made for us, and after dinner we all settled in the parlor. 

"We received word from Armstrong, and he is also on his journey home."  Mae said, while completely oblivious to the termoil that still lives between Oliver and Armstrong.