October 26, 1863

After so many days on the ship with Oliver, I'm feeling safer in his arms.  He hasn't once tried to bed me, although I've felt his arousal at times while he held me in bed. 

Our ship docked in Liverpool, then we traveled to London where his mother is supposed to be visiting her parents city home.  Nothing about the trip has been certain, but Oliver says they tend to spend their fall and winter months in the city. 

The carriage and wagon brought us stopped in front of a fine home in the heart of London.  I've never seen so many old, but charming, buildings in my life.  Oliver took my hand and helped me from the carriage. 

I'm filling out my dresses now, and I catch Oliver staring at me nearly constantly.  I can tell he won't wait much longer for me to give in to my slowly building desires.

I didn't think I would ever feel alive again, but slowly, with the help of my loving husband, I am recovering.  This makes me feel guilty at times.  Moving on without Bub, Mimi, and Rose is painful, but it seems it's happening no matter how hard I try to fight it.

"Oliver?"  An older, but beautiful, woman emerged from the beautiful stone house and threw her arms around her son. 

"Oliver, I feared I would never see you again."  The woman cried. 

"I'm here mother, and I brought my wife and children."

She swung around and looked at me.  "Naomi Chapman.  You've grown into such a beautiful woman."  She embraced me then turned to Claire. 

"Oh, darling Claire."  She hugged the woman.  "These must be my grandchildren." 

Ollie returned her smile, but Elizabeth hid behind my dress. 

"You are so much like your father, young lady."  She giggled at her granddaughter.  "Let's get you all in and settled." 

We followed the woman inside where we were greeted by an elderly couple. 

"Grandmother, Grandfather, please meet my wife Naomi and our children, Ollie and Elizabeth." 

"They're such darling children."  His grandmother embraced me, then stepped back.  "You've done a dandy job, grandson.  A beautiful wife and two healthy children." 

"Thank you, grandfather."  Oliver said.

A middle aged woman stepped forward upon Mrs. Westlake prompting.  "Alice, please take my son and his family to their chambers.  I'll have a fulfilling dinner prepared, and see you all again after you've received some rest." 

We followed the woman and we were given our own room, while the children and Claire were given another.  I would prefer the children with me, but maybe Oliver and I could use our nights together.

"Can I help you out of your corset?" Oliver offered.

"Yes, please.  You know how much I detest these apparatuses."

I pulled off my layers, and Oliver relieved me from the corset one string at a time just before he pulled the pin from my hair.  "There she is, my beautiful wife."  My hair fell, and I turned to look at him.  "Thank you."

He nodded, and I slid into bed, still feeling as if the water was moving underneath me. 

His arms wrapped around me, and once again, his arousal was apparrent on my backside.  I ignored his needs and drifted off to sleep. 

At 7 pm sharp, Oliver escorted me to the dining room where we enjoyed a meal fit for royalty.  His grandparents offered us their country estate with full staff through our visit, and Oliver agreed.  He stated he may buy something because he has no plans to return until the end of the war, but his grandfather insisted we stay at that estate during the duration of our stay. 

It was refreshing when not one of our troubles at home were mentioned.  There's no talk of war or slavery.  Just the everyday happenings of London.  I hoped for the same at the country estate.

Oliver needs to attend to business here in the city before we travel, so I spend my days with my children and his family. I met a few uncles, and Oliver informed me that one of his brothers moved into our home in Indiana.  Mae and Patrick will stay on, while his insane Uncles went back to their respective homes in Illinois.

It's the night before we leave, and we are curled up in bed.  "Do you think your brother is treating Mae with kindness?" 

"Yes, Clarence is an honorable man and will take great care of our home and loved ones."  I can sense him smelling my hair.  "You smell nice."  He said.

"Your mother gave it to me, along with the new wardrobe you told her to buy."  I laughed, knowing he didn't think I was aware he was behind the designer that made my new dresses.  He had some designed that I know are only for my body when we get to the country estate. 

"Ummm..that was my anniversary gift to you.  Happy anniversary my love." 

"Thank you."  I said, and told him the same.

"Will the estate be like home?"  I asked.

"No, it's much larger with kept grounds.  There will be horses and lakes, but it's a bit ridiculous to be honest, but there's no war.  I'll make sure there will never be a war anywhere near you again.  We're safe, and I'll never leave until it's time for this soul to depart for heaven."

He squeezed me a bit tighter, and we both fell into slumber.