December 5, 1860

It took a few weeks for the pain to subside. The horrible men that did that to me, were held at a camp north of us in Corydon. Their futures are unclear, but I have a feeling they will either be released or they will escape.

Oliver has not slept in our quarters since the incident saying I didn't need the disturbances, and I found him this morning in the parlor.

"Good morning." I said as I walked into the room.

"Good morning. How are you feeling today?" He asked.

"Still as good as yesterday and the day before." I sat straight up in my chair. "Are you working from home today?" I asked.

"Actually, I'm just finishing up. Would you fancy a ride before the weather turns figid? Maybe ride into town?"

"Absolutely, just let me change."

I changed, and he met me in the stable and had our horses ready. We took our time making it to town, and even picked up a few trinkets for Christmas for the staff. I shivered against the cold as we walked in town. He wrapped an arm around me. "I think the temperature is dropping, we should head home."

Once we arrived home, he helped me off of my horse. He didn't back away, and my body slid against his until my feet hit the ground.

"Naomi." He just looked down at me.

"Yes?" I said, and he lifted my chin to look at him.

"People are asking questions. It's time to consummate this marriage." He said, and I could feel my blush.

"Have you ever been kissed by a man?"

I shook my head no.

"It's time." He said as he lowered his head and placed his lips on mine. My arms instinctively wrapped around his neck and his arms pulled me in close, as he parted my lips with his and his tongue massaged mine. My heart raced, and my knees grew weak.

He pulled back. "Tonight, you will officially be mine." He walked off leaving me standing like a confused baboon.

I worried all day. Is it going to hurt? Will I be with child tomorrow? What if he doesn't like me? What if it's rough? So many thoughts filtered through my mind, but one of them being that I'm falling for the man I married.

His strong embrace in the barn gave me a physical reaction I've never known. Sure, I've had urges and thoughts about making love, but never has a man embraced me while a strong desire consumed me. This is a part of life, and a responsibility of being a wife.

Not once have I had the urge to defy him or make him crazy like I originally planned. My father couldn't have done better at picking my groom.

I don't have to defy him, because he says nothing about my wild ways. I've endulged in spirits, and he joined me, dressed how I felt comfortable, and he just encouraged me. I may have found the man that is capable of taming me.

Dinner was quiet at usual. Neither Mae or Oliver are people of many words. I'm usually the talkative one, but tonight I'm scared. That is, until I felt a strong hand clasp mine.

I looked over at Oliver, and he gave me an understanding smile.

After dinner, Claire helped me out of my dinner dress. I'm not yet wearing a corset, so it made everything easier. I may never wear one again if my husband would allow.

I took a hot bath, then slipped into my clean shift . My hands were shaky, so Claire brushed my hair for me.

My shift does almost nothing to hide my body. I can see through it when I look in the mirror, even with the shimmering lamp light. I didn't know how long Oliver would be, so I stood in my favorite spot and stared out the window into the darkness.