May 29, 1862

For the first time in months, I decided to go into town. It's the babies first time out, and many townsfolk took interest.

Upon Oliver's request, I had photographs taken, which he will get when he comes home.

I was in the general store, when I heard a commotion. "Mimi, stay with the children."

I walked outside and saw people crowded in front of the post office, and there were soldiers walking away because they just hung news. I ran over to the crowd. "What's happening?" I asked, and nobody answered.

Women were crying as they walked away, and some hugged. I pushed my way through and there was a bulletin.

"On May 25th of this year, 1862, the 7th Indiana Regiment was engaged at Winchester, Virginia. This was a major victory for the Confederacy.

The estimated casualties for the Union during this battle has reached nearly 2,000 troops.

Once word is received, families of the casualties will be notified promptly."

My stomach turned and my body shook. Shivers ran up my spine, and my world seemed to spin. My father, brothers, and husband are all a part of the 7th regiment. I recited regrets from my husband that he was unable to come home with my father due to his assignment in Boston, but returned a few weeks later. This means Oliver was part of this conflict.

I ran for Mimi and Bub and told them I needed to be home right away. I cannot break down in front of this town. I held Elizabeth, while Mimi held Ollie for the sorrowful ride home.

"Patrick!" I called him over. "Nearly 2,000 casualties in Virginia. The 7th was involved. How many days until we receive word?"

"Calm down, Mrs. Westlake. Casualties also means injured, captured, and missing, so don't get yourself hysterical. It could be a week, depending on how many conflicts transpired after the battle." He held both my arms and made me look at him. "Mr. Westlake and your other folks may not have engaged. It depends on the rebels strength."

How are so many southerners fighting for such horrible things?

"Deep breaths." He tried to calm me.

I fell asleep crying that night. I hoped the crying would end after post partum, but the longer this war goes on, the worse I feel.

We went days with no word, then it turned to weeks. Patrick says the lack of news is a good sign, then on June 9th there were another 1,000 casualties in a battle called Port Republic. Again, the 7th Regiment was involved.

Finally, on June 18th, a letter was delivered to me.

"June 11, 1862

Dearest Naomi,

I apologize for my slow communication as of late. This conflict has become more intense as Gen. Jackson has been storming Virginia. Over 3,000 men have either perished, been injured ,or taken captive in these last weeks. I do have the pleasure of letting you know, none of your loved ones are among the casualties.

These were terribly bloody battles where Lee and Jackson have proven their strength against the Union Army. More troops are being sent to counteract the rebels growing strength in the Shenandoah Valley

I was relieved to receive your letters, and it's comforting to know you have been out of harms way. My every thought is of you and our children.

I had to hide your letters, because I too long for your touch. These men would be much too jealous to know my wife is having such thoughts. It is comforting to know your body aches as much as your heart. I dream of you nightly, and long to feel your soft skin.

My desires for you only grow when you write such things, making it difficult to think about much of anything else. My lovely wife, you are my light at the end of all this darkness. I do promise upon my return, I will satisfy your needs.

In case you wondered, your perfume did survive the journey on your last letter. I can smell your beautiful scent as I fall into slumber.

Your father returned to camp and told me how well things were going at home. He said Patrick is protective and is more than satisfying our agreement.

There have been no major conflicts since Port Republic, and I do hope the rebels soon retreat once we double our numbers.

Please relay my regards to all of our loved ones, and please do include me in your dreams tonight. As I know you will be visiting mine.

With my eternal love, I bid you goodbye for now. I love you, my beautiful bride.

Your faithful Husband,

Col. Oliver Westlake

I ran out and told everyone the most joyous news. We planned a celebration, as we later learned most casualties were not from the 7th Regiment.

Please vote comment and share...