October 7, I864

I was forced to stay on bed for too many days.  Ethan is a hungry little guy, and I awake every two hours for his feeding.  Oliver needed to go back to work, so our "honeymoon" period has been over for a few months now. He has to travel to London several times a month, and prior to Ethans birth, we would go with him, but the baby isn't old enough yet to travel. 

Another letter was received today from Armstrong.  He is relentless, so I will have to talk to Oliver tonight before writing him back.  Maybe if he knows of the birth of Ethan, he will step back and understand some of the contents of his letters aren't received welcomly.

Oliver is only gone one night at a time, and he hates leaving.  It was me who encouraged him to work.

His work progress is slow because he is so far away from home, but somehow he manages. 

His family spent the summer with us, and it was nice spending the time with Oliver's mother.  From what Alexander said, the Confederates aren't gaining too much ground, and he feels the war will be over within the year. 

I don't have the nightmares anymore, and I feel like I'm becoming my old self.  I write mother and tell her about my progress.  She agrees this was the best thing Oliver could have done for all of us.  She said everyone at home has been safe, and hasn't heard of any rebel forces in the area. 

Claudine was never arrested and tried for treason.  If fact, nobody knows where she went after that horrible night.  Oliver has been receiving letters from the staff he sent to Canada because, apparently, the children had been taught to read and write.  Josephine's son actually inspires to attend university, and Oliver had agreed to finance his education if he can find a school that will accept him and others of color.

I have made friends with not only the staff, but some of the local residents.  One of which being Mrs. Ewbank from the next farm over.  She is my age, and we have tea weekly, then play cards again another day with some women from our church. 

The twins talk more now and get around too well to keep up with at times.  Every afternoon we spend time outside, and I even take Ethan out.  I do hope when he grows older, he leaves some food for the rest of humanity. 

"Daddy!"   I heard the children run excitedly.  No, we aren't the typical family. Most husbands leave the raising of the children to their wives and staff, but not my husband.  I believe the combination of war and the loss of our daughter, brought him closer to our children.

"Have you been good today?"  They both nodded, and Oliver pulled out a piece of candy for both the children.  "Tanks!"  Ollie said before he ran off.  I'm feeding our son when he came in, and he leaned down and placed a kiss on my cheek then also one for Ethan. 

"You're spoiling them."  I said, and he gave me an innocent smile. 

"Is he still feeding every two hours?"  He asked, and I nodded.  "Sorry I can't help."  He grinned, and I almost laughed.  "You help enough by entertaining the children." 

He sat down next to me, and I figured this is a good time to talk.  "I received another letter from Armstrong today."  I said.

"Did he propose marriage this time?"  He scoffed.

"Seriously, I think I should write him and let him know we are happy and thriving." 

"No, it'll just give him hope.  I'll write him." 

"Don't be mean, Oliver.  He is still your cousin who dropped everything to run your business, and keep in mind, he is in that hell."  I instructed.

"I'll let him down easy, but there won't be any mistake, he will have an understanding that he will never have my wife." 

"Just be careful what you say."  I warned him.

Oliver's POV

"October 7, 1864
Thirsk, England

Dear Cousin,

I do hope this letter is received at a time of contentment and not battle as I saw during my time with the Union Army.  I am thankful for your service in the name of freedom for all American's.

I must have a word now about your infatuation of my wife.  I do understand you spent much time together and things got a little more serious than it should ever have gotten.  She regrets those actions and all has been forgiven.

On September 24 of this year, my darling wife gave birth to our son Ethan.  It has been a joyous occasion for the both of us as our son is healthy and thriving. 

My darling wife has made miraculous strides with her own health during our time here in England.  She has finally found peace.

Please, I do beg of you my dearest cousin, to let go of any fantasies of a future with my wife.  You will find a love of your own someday and you'll understand. 

We look forward to your letters, but I must ask that you keep your letters formal and not contain your declarations of love for Naomi.

I do appreciate your understanding in this matter. 

Your cousin,
Oliver Westgate"