October 14, 1863

Oliver's POV

I held my wife when she finally broke down in front of me that day . This was the first time I've held her in well over a year, and she's nothing but skin and bones.

When people look at me, they see bravery and sacrifice, and she is right. Her struggles, her losses, and her sacrifices will be forgotten. The end result for a veteran is respect. For her, she gets to be labeled as mad by her own mother and family.

I kissed her head and caught that heavenly scent for the first time in what felt like forever.

"Naomi, as far as the loss of our daughter and your rapes, I am so deeply sorry. I want to kill those men for taking so many precious things away. As far as Armstrong goes, I've already forgiven you. He was there when you needed someone. I'm hurt and angry, but not with you. I found the unfinished letter you wrote in my desk. I still love you with every ounce of my heart and soul."

She looked up at me with red swollen eyes. "Maybe tonight you can get a full nights sleep." I stood the picked her up and carried her to the bedroom.

I was more than surprised that she allowed me to undress her and help her into bed clothes. I unfastened her hair and brushed it, which was a new one for me.

We curled up in bed and I pulled her close. Her back was against my chest, as I held her frail body close. I could feel her relax and finally fall asleep in my arms. I love this woman with every part of me. Forgiveness came easier than I thought possible, and I counted my blessings for this one tiny step closer to helping repair both of our hearts. Maybe she needed my forgiveness before she could heal, just as I needed hers the night we created Rose.

When I woke, she was still asleep. I could tell it was a deep restful sleep, so I let her be and dressed for the day. I decided to have breakfast brought to our quarters and left word for the porter, then went back and helped Claire with my children.

Elizabeth is slowly coming out of her shell, while Ollie was never in one in the first place. He giggled at me as I fed him eggs. "He usually feeds himself, so I'm sure he is finding this humorous." Claire said.

I stoked the fire and added more wood in the parlor and in the bedroom, but she never once stirred. She has slept most of the first day at sea away like she hadn't seen sleep in ages.

The children went down for naps, so I climbed in bed with my wife and she curled into me. She was awake, but I didn't realize it.

"I love you." She said, and those words almost took my breath away. I kissed her forehead. "I love you too"

I've never napped during the day, but for some reason it consumed us both, and neither of us moved and inch. It was the best sleep I've had in ages. When I woke, I drew a hot bath and woke her up.

"Come on." I led her over to the tub that sat next to the fire. "Are you comfortable with me?" I asked for permission and she nodded. I pulled off her bed clothes, then helped her into the hot water.

I then undressed and slid in behind her, and she layed back against my chest.

"I'm so sorry for all the things you've experienced." I said, but she didn't react.

"Do you think I've gone mad?" She asked.

"No, I really don't Naomi. You're where I was when I last saw you. You gave me what I needed back then, and I'm doing the same for you. You'll be okay and, hopefully soon, feel safe again. I should have sent you to my mother before the war. I shouldn't have taken no for an answer." I said.

She shook her head. "No, I couldn't have left our home. We still would have had our twins, but Rose wouldn't have existed."

"You're right. I just want to see my wild girl again. Umm..not maybe on this trip, but when we return home."

She let out a small laugh. "Is this because of your mother?"

"No, it's because we do have a certain image to maintain for business." I said.

"I understand."

"Tonight I would like to have dinner in the dining room. Claire and the children can stay here, but maybe tomorrow we can bundle them up and take them to the deck to see the ocean." I suggested.

"I don't want them to become ill."

"They need sunlight, and it won't take long." I said as I added soap the the sponge and ran it over the scars on her back. The satisfaction I got when I killed those two men scares me sometimes.

I helped her out of the tub and Claire came in to help her dress, while I entertained my children.

When she finally walked out to the parlor, she took my breath away. She never listens, and at times like these I'm thankful. Her hair lays half up and half down and her plump breasts are perfectly encapsulated in her dress. Her frame is tiny, too tiny in fact, but she is still the most beautiful woman in the world.

I want to bed my wife so terribly bad, but I know she would just squirm away, so I'll have to make her fall in love with me all over again and earn her trust. Then I'll give her that third child.

I recognized Mr. Alexander Potter of New York sitting with his wife and children.

"Mr. Westlake, I am glad to see you have returned from war. I can see you didn't return unscathed. May I ask what battle for which you endured such injuries?"

Wow, straight to the ridiculous questions.

"It was the battle of Gettysburg, sir. I see you're traveling with the family, so I presume this is a travel of leisure?"

"Yes, we will be visiting my wife's family in London. I presume you are visiting your mother? You have my deepest condolences for the loss of your father. He was a good man." He said.

"Yes, my lovely wife and I will be in Yorkshire. Thank you for your condolences."

He turned toward my wife and took her hand. "I do hope this retched war hasn't taken its toll, Mrs. Westlake?"

Rude as always.

"We survived sir." Is all she said.

"If you'll excuse us, my wife and I are quite famished. Do have a good evening with your beautiful wife and daughters."

"Thank you, and please do the same."

I escorted Naomi to our table and hoped for no further interruptions.

"You look absolutely beautiful tonight, Naomi." She blushed. I love it when my bride blushes. I keep seeing traces of my bride before the trauma appear one tiny bit at a time.

She actually ate the most I've seen her eat since I returned.

"May I have this dance?" I asked, and held out my hand. She took it and I led her to the dance floor. We danced the same as everyone else. The waltz in fact, but for me nobody else existed.