November 28, 1861

November 28, 1861

My Dearest Husband,

Today is the day we are supposed to give thanks. I find that terribly difficult with you so far away.  I hope when you receive this letter you are in good spirits and healthy.  I've heard no word of any battle for your regiment as of late, but I still worry.

I will give thanks today for not receiving any unfavorable news from the battlefields of this hellish war.  We have been married now for over a year, so I am thankful for your faithful love for me.

I'm thankful for a healthy pregnancy and for my loved ones who are now doing my work.  Oliver, I no longer resemble the woman you married.  Our child, or children as you say, have grown and are quite active. 

Mae, Mimi, and Dr. Sams all say my time is nearing as soon as January.  I will send word via post as soon as they are delivered.

The townspeople have sent clothing, and Mimi has been sewing up a storm.  Bub built a cradle and it is beautiful.  He is working on a second one for good measure. 

I hope to see you soon, and as always, please give my father and brothers my love.  I will pray for us, and all of our brave brothers and sisters.

Your faithful wife,
Naomi

I have not sent word to my husband about Thomas Vest.  I also have not told him about Claudine and Patrick.  He has enough to worry about without knowing about my rebel stranger, the sexual assault, or his past love now being widowed and living in our home. 

Colonel Rutherford came as soon as I sent for him.  The vicious rebels were taken away, and Patrick was granted immunity until he was granted sanctuary.  His injuries were severe, and Dr. Sams had to amputate his leg.  He was lucky not to have died from infection.  In fact, Dr. Sams stated it was a miracle. 

He recovered here, and Bub did the most generous thing by carving a wooden leg.  Patrick practices daily and is becoming more independant.  He was very depressed for some time that the Union Army turned him away. 

Armstrong has contacted our attorney to help him file for citizenship.  Although Armstrong is a solicitor, immigration is not his specialty.  Patrick has already been granted sanctuary by our friend Judge Klein. 

After learning Patrick was an orphan and sold into servatude at the age of seven, there was no chance Judge Klein would have turned him away.

Patrick is strong, handsome, and extremely intelligent for his limited education.  Mae works with him daily to educate him further for a career after the war.  Once he is healed, he will be hired to work for our family.  For now, I am in his debt for saving mine and my children's lives. 

Claudine avoids me at all costs.  It is strange having the woman my husband loved before me here in my home.  At night I can sometimes hear her cry, and I have to wonder if it's over her lost love, my husband. 

I caught her staring at his image one day.  A photograph of him I've never seen.  All I have is the wedding photograph from when we were strangers.  I wonder if Oliver has one of Claudine in his satchel with mine.

Claudine is a very beautiful woman.  I still don't feel they are honest.  She is in no way mulatto, or her colored ancestor was from many generations back.  My husband could have married her and nobody would know the difference.