December 24, 1860

We traveled overnight to my parents home for Christmas. The trip was made shorter, because we slept on the steamboat.  All three of us were freezing when we arrived at my parents home.

Mother and daddy both embraced me, and daddy shook my husbands hand.  The staff unloaded our trunks, as the men went to the parlor, while I was with my mother in the sitting room.

"I've not heard of a pregnancy yet."  She stirred her tea and set the spoon down.

"Not as far as I know."  I replied.  She doesn't need to know we waited so long to consumate.

"I heard about your ordeal.  I hope they string that man up.  Horrible people exist no matter how much the Bible teaches us not to judge, we must do so in order to survive."

"I agree mother.  It won't be long, and I'm afraid we will be forced to send our help north."

"We will celebrate Christmas tonight, but tomorrow morning you will head back.  It's not safe for your household be gone long."

"Agreed."  I set my tea cup down.  "I'm a bit tired from our trip.  I think I may lay down for a bit.  Mae is looking forward to your company." 

Mother stood and kissed my cheek. "I'm proud of you, dear.  You've become a fine wife for Mr. Westlake."

"Thank you Mother." 

My mother is always formal, but in no way your typical woman of means.  She and father are abolitionist.  Living a secret life under the cover of the darkness provided by the night sky.  They sneak innocent human beings out of slavery and toward freedom, knowing the consequence of death await them if caught by the wrong people.  The same as my husband does, and many others living along the mighty Ohio River.  They call it the underground railroad.  This railroad doesn't discriminate.  The wealthy, the poor, and people of all walks of life help if they can, and no help is turned away.  Social status means nothing in the underground railroad.  These things Oliver have taught me, gives me a better understanding of my family.

A few hours rest was all I needed to feel fresh and new.  Mae helped me into my formal Christmas dress.  It kills me that she cannot attend.  My parents cannot risk being caught as sympathizers even by their very own neighbors and family.

The ballroom was fantastic

The ballroom was fantastic.  My mother has a talent for entertaining, but nothing compared to walking downstairs and seeing my groom. 

"Naomi."  He breathed out, then leaned down into my ear and whispered.  "You are strikingly beautiful, but I much prefer your wild look." 

I blushed because, what he means is, he likes my hair down and my body naked.  "I must agree." I said and smiled.

"Mr. Westlake, I have someone for you to meet."  My mother whisked my husband away, and I got into the spiked punch. 

"I must say marriage suits you."  I turned and saw my close friend.

"Jeremiah!"  I jumped into his arms, and he squeezed me tight.  "I've missed you."