October 28, 1860

We sat and ate dinner, while Oliver talked about the upcoming winter.  He advised that Mae will not be finding work outside our home, since tensions are rising in the south.  He made her my assistant at running our home. All staff will report to Mae, and he gave her a very handsome salary. 

I heard dogs barking outside and men yelling. "Stay here."  Oliver stood up and threw his napkin on the table.

He walked to the window, then turned to me.  "Take Mae upstairs, promptly."  He said, and I grabbed her hand.  We ran up the steps, and I put her in my closet before running back downstairs.  I'm not sure why I had to hide my best friend, but I will play along.  It would be suspicious if the lady of the house did not make an appearance. 

A middle aged man stood on the other side of the door. 

"This must be Mrs. Westlake."  The man stuck out his hand and shook mine.  "I'm colonial Rutherford, ma'am.  I'm just making my rounds."  He said

"Naomi, meet me in the parlor please."  Oliver said, so I walked away, but not far enough not to eavesdrop.

"If you are harboring any runaways, send them along as soon as possible.  Vest and his men are making nightly rounds, and they're already suspicious.  They think I'm here to help, so tonight will be the last night before they show.  Make sure your colored folk have proper documentation.  Send the rest to Canada as soon as possible.  I'll steer them away from your property as long as possible, but they have to go tonight."   

He wasn't kidding when he said he was an abolitionist.

The men left, and Oliver came into the parlor.  "I'll be out late.  Do not under any circumstances open the door for anyone.  Make sure Mae stays away from the windows, and there is a musket in the hall cupboard and a colt revolver in my top drawer.  Don't hesitate to use it if you are threatened."  He was stuffing a revolver in the hem of his pants back.

"What's going on?"  I'm frantic at this point. 

"That was one of the Union soldiers that are mustering in Corydon.  There is a good chance of war within the year.  Thomas Vest is trying to round up volunteers for the South and looking for runaways.  I'm a known abolitionist just like your father.  We are going to be first to be raided if it comes down to it, so I have to help some people."

"I'm scared, Oliver." 

He took me by surprised when he pecked my lips.  "Don't be scared, be brave.  Get some sleep, and I'll see you tomorrow." 

He walked out in a hurry, taking a few of the male staff with him.

Mae and I were both too scared to sleep alone, so we curled up in my bed. After a few hours of silently praying, we fell asleep.

I woke when I heard a voice way too close.

"Looks to me we have found the beautiful Mrs. Westlake we've heard so much about, and her slave.  A man could have plenty of fun in this situation."

I shot up out of bed. "She is not a slave, but a free woman, and if you think for even a moment of hurting her, my husband will have your head!" 

"Woah, calm down Mrs. Westlake. The last thing I need is a hysterical woman on my hands."  He chuckled.

"We'd be more than happy to be inside such a hysterical woman."  Another man said, and the others laughed.

"You will do no such thing."  I heard a voice from behind them.  The voice of my husband.

"Mr. Vest, you will promptly leave my wife's quarters."

The men split apart, and there stood my handsome husband.

"There's no need to get so upset, Mr. Westlake.  Unless you have something to hide." 

"My wife and her sister are both off limits.  If you need to speak to someone about this war, it'll be me, and me only.  We can speak in the parlor."  He is rightfully angry.

They all disappeared downstairs, while Mae and I both quickly threw on clothes. Those men have no right to see us in our shimmies.

I walked downstairs and eavesdropped like usual, while Oliver provided the proper documentation for his emancipated staff.

"You pay these niggers as much as you do your own kind.  You sir, are an abomination."  The man said.

"I pay these human beings the same as all the other human beings I employ.  Everything I do here on my land is legal." 

"We will have our war Mr. Westlake.  You should be careful who you choose to die for, and I sure hope it isn't the woman we just found sleeping in your wife's bed.  Believe me, when the time comes, both those women will pay a steep price because of your sins." 

"I would gladly give my life in the name of freedom.  You have what you came for, so you should be on your way.  Have a good day sir." Oliver finished.

I dashed away to the kitchen when I heard the parlor door open.  "You would do right to keep an eye on that wife of yours. She is unusually beautiful for these parts.  A man may find a way in here when you're not home." 

Footsteps made their way into the kitchen.  "The door isn't broken, and I locked it before bed.  Any idea how they got in?"

He stood with his arms crossed.

"I have no idea.  We didn't touch that door.  We were too scared to touch it. I woke with them standing over the bed." 

"From now on, we need to work on your domestic skills.  You need to know how to fend and defend yourself.  There may come a time when we need to send our friends up north, and that means Mae too.  You may be left to fend for yourself if we are called into war.  You should know how to run this place, cook, clean, and farm.  I won't have you starving to death."  

Please vote comment and share.