June 18, 1861

"Phillipi, Virginia. June 4, 1861

My Dearest Love,

I again hope this letter finds you safe and free from illness. Our regiment has experienced it's first battle, and we were victorious.

We attacked the Confederates under the cloak of the night sky, and rebels ran south. Some still in their bed clothes. It was a genius plan, and we have now taken part of Virginia.

If we can fight this intellectually through all these battles, I may come home to your arms much sooner than expected.

Your father and brothers are well, and in my same Regiment.

My love for you still grows by the day. I don't have much time to write tonight, as we are rationed on many supplies, including lamp oil. We are waiting for the delivery of provisions.

I'll hold your photograph close ,and dream of you as I do every night. I love you my sweet darling. Sweet dreams.

Love Always,

Captain Oliver Westlake
7th Indiana Regiment of the U.S. Army

I hugged the letter he sent, and daydreamed about seeing him again soon.

Many things have changed since he left. His Uncles have an obsession for explosives, and Rutherford has been called out here a few times now. Our crops are planted and tended to, but there's one last thing that has changed.

"June 16, 1861

My Dearest Husband,

I received your letter today. Congratulations on your first victory. I do hope there were no casualties. Not that you would tell me otherwise.

Your letter found me healthy and safe. It also found me expecting our first child.I pray the war is over by the time our child delivers.

I love you Oliver with all my heart, and I am so very grateful to be carrying our first of many healthy children.

There is not much news here on the homefront. All is quiet, and we have yet to have seen any rebel soldiers. I do hope it stays that way. I must go now, but carry my love with you, and let it arm you against these horrible rebels.

Love Always,

Mrs. Oliver Westlake"

Mae and I have kept busy in the grape fields. Oliver's Uncles, Eugene and Wilford, have done a fine job in the fields. With most of our help in Canada, we don't plant as much, but we also have less mouths to feed.

Eugene and Wilford both have demanded I stay out of the fields as soon as they found out about my pregnancy. They didn't count on me being a defiant, stubborn woman who does as she pleases.

I've been learning to cook and even do laundry. My domestic skills have grown dramatically. Oliver would be proud. God, I miss that man. Who knew I would fall so deeply in love with that quiet man I met at the alter.

I've fought bouts of nausea off an on for weeks now. It hasn't been easy, but life is never meant to be easy. Life has been quiet up here on the hill.

Armstrong has made a habit of walking the grounds with me every evening to discuss business and finances. Most women wouldn't be included in such matters, but I'm not most women.

"You've written Oliver about the child?" He asked.

"Yes, it went out to post this morning. I do hope this war ends soon and he can be here when I deliver." I said.

"The battles are only intensifying, and the South is growing stronger. I hate to disappoint you, but this war may take years." He said.

"But they won't keep Oliver for years?"

"They will as long as he is healthy and can fight. If the draft comes, I'm afraid I'll also have to leave. I'm working with my Uncles now to prepare them, if I must depart. I cannot allow children to fight a war, while I sit behind a mahogany desk and do business as usual. When the time comes, I will also enlist or be drafted. We must push harder and win this war." He informed me.

"What happens to the rest of us when all the strong healthy men are off fighting in the south?"

"You will have to be strong and fight. You need to keep up with everything Oliver taught you. You have a child now to defend."

"There's so few of us left here. This home, our home, may fall to ruin." My pregnancy emotions take over.

"That is the sacrifice of war. Oliver will build it back up, and he has invested wisely in foreign countries. You have no financial worries. Our Uncles in Yorkshire are managing both mine and your affairs." He said.

"Money does me no good in Europe. If this war last too long, I'll need provisions. I have mouths' to feed and backs' to clothe."

"You will have all you will need. Oliver went to great lengths to insure your future during and after the war. Most battles will be fought in the South. You and your family will survive as long as you have the strength to fight."

I stopped and turned toward him. "I will be at my weakest this winter. This child will only grow bigger. Please do not leave until I have delivered."

"I will hope for the best, but you should know this child will make you stronger. Your protective instincts will give you that strength. Have faith that God will be with us, and we will prevail over the etrocities and evil in the south."