December 25, 1861

"Merry Christmas, son." Oliver said to our baby boy as he lifted him from the crib Bub built. Our daughter is still sleeping. I'm still so exhausted after almost 17 hours of labor, then waking up with the twins every few hours has drained me completely.

Oliver layed him in my arms as my sweet boy cried. He quickly latched on to my breast and ate. His tiny little breaths sound so adorable as he works so hard to take my milk.

Oliver climbed back into bed and watched as I fed our son.

"They're such a blessing. I'm sorry you had to feel so much pain." He said.

"It was worth every minute." I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"You look so beautiful right now." He complimented.

"I'm swelled everywhere, and you say I'm beautiful?" I laughed.

"You are. You just gave me a son and daughter, and seeing you like this is the most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed."

Our daughter started crying, so he got out of bed and lifted her up before placing her into my other arm. He helped me position so she could also latch on to my other breast. It felt strange having him touch my breast in the least sexual way possible.

I asked him not to speak of his impending departure today. Its Christmas, and also our children's first day in this world. I'm not allowed to leave my bed, other than to visit the pot here in this room. Yes, my pride is long gone at this point.

He dressed while I fed Ollie and Elizabeth, then when they fell back asleep, he layed them down and made sure the drapes were closed so I could sleep for a few hours.

I slept until the next feeding, which Mae helped. I was able to join them downstairs for Christmas dinner, then it was straight back to bed for me. It was fine, because I needed the rest.

I had slept off and on all day, and it was like I couldn't get enough. I slowly opened my eyes and was surprised I didn't hear either baby crying. I heard a soft whisper in the corner. What I saw made me scream.

I jumped out of bed and Oliver came running. "She has the babies." I started to cry and rushed over to grab them, and Oliver helped.

"She was letting them latch on to her." I sat down with Elizabeth, and Oliver placed our son in my arms.

"What?"

"She had her breasts out like she was feeding them. Get out Claudine!" He helped me position the twins.

"You heard her, get out!" Oliver said, but she just stood there gaping at me. When he was done, he grabbed her by the arm and pulled her out of the room, and I heard them go downstairs.

I can't believe that just happened. Who does that to someone else's children? There's no reason for such an act since she can't even give them anything. I cried until Oliver came back, and he climbed next to me in bed.

"Why was she doing that?" The tears were flowing. Crying usually isn't my thing, but lately it seems it's all I do anymore.

He shook his head. "I don't know, but I'm making arrangements for her to stay somewhere else. She seems to have become very ill in her mind. I don't want her here around you and these little ones." He ran the back side of his pointer finger down Elizabeth's face.

"I'm so glad you're home for now." I said, and he reached up and wiped my tear away. "Me too." He kissed my cheek. "Would you like me to lay them down?"

"Yes, please, and when you come to bed, please lock the door."

"I'm not going back down. Just let me get changed."

"Before you leave, I want you to take a night in a guest room. You need some rest before you go back out there, Oliver." He locked the door and climbed back into bed with me. "I get everything I need right here." He pulled me into him and we both slept.

I felt much better the next day. It seems like the babies occupied me for so long, it's hard to adjust to them no longer being inside me. I can move in certain ways again, and I'm not nearly as uncomfortable.

"I have some things to discuss before I leave." Oliver said.

I nodded, and he continued.

"I have formally hired Patrick to stay on as your caretaker. After the war, he will stay on with the business."

"Thank you, I believe that is a wise decision." I agreed.

"Also, Claudine will be leaving with me for Indianapolis. I will have her boarded until she can make other arranements."

"Also a wise decision." Thank you God.

"Now, the next subject might make you upset. I don't want to talk about it either, but it must be done before I leave."

I think I know the subject he will speak.

"The battles are growing larger, and there are higher numbers of casualties as the war grows. The confederacy is growing, so there will always be the chance I won't survive."

"I don't like this subject. It won't happen, so there's no sense in talking about it." I said.

"I've done more than talk about it. I worry for your future if I'm not here to take care of my affairs. I have completed my will and talked to Armstrong.

He will take over part of the business. The part you own." I already figured this much.

He has agreed to take everything, including you as his wife and our children as his own. Normally an older brother would take such a responsibility, but mine are married and not involved in this portion of the business. They prefer New York and Boston. My younger brother is finishing his studies."

I'm fuming. "I won't marry him." I shook my head. "I'll never marry if I lose you, Oliver. You should have spoken to me about this before you made it final."

"Currently in this state, you claim no stake on my affairs. I'm sure my family would not turn their back on you, but I need that stability for you, my son and daughter. I also included Mae, as your sister, to be financed until she marries. You are a stubborn and independant woman. I love that about you, but on this subject, I need you to be compliant. Not for yourself, but for our children. Armstrong is a good man and has agreed not to take a wife until I return. Until then, he is your guardian. You will still be the lady of this house, but he will make all financial decisions. He has agreed to keep Patrick on, as he does agree he is an asset to this family. He also has agreed for the others to stay on, but no court will take a woman seriously enough to take care of the larger affairs."

I handed him Ollie and our son curled up in his strong arms. "I'll never give myself to him. I will do as you ask, but I'll never share a bed with anyone but you."

His eyes softened. "Naomi, I love you and you are the wife of my dreams. I'll never wish loneliness upon you, especially in the event of my death."

"Don't say that word!" I cried.

"He will take care of you, and you will have to take care of him. That is the duty a husband and wife have for one another. You're a beautiful woman, and no matter how hard it is for me to consider, he will please you." He finishes.

"You talk like you're not coming back." I continued to cry, while Elizabeth sleeps in my arms.

"I will do everything I can to make it back to you, but some things we cannot control. It's just planning for the worst case scenerio. I love you so much, I cannot imagine leaving you destitute." His voice broke. "You my darling, and these children are everything to me. I need you all safe and taken care of in this cruel world."

"I love you too."