Chapter 12

100 Days

Michael's P.O.V

Shay & I had been doing these nightly sleepovers for about a week now, pretty much alternating our houses each night.

We kissed a lot, we'd cuddle & we would flirt but we never talked about what we were. I couldn't help but think was this just for fun or were we dating like were were like an actual couple? Obviously there was no one else either of us were seeing but I wasn't sure if that meant we were official or not. 

I also wasn't sure if dating Shay was the best thing right now, for either of us, but I was enjoying the time we were spending together so I was torn.

We could spend all night doing nothing but have the best time. For example on Halloween, Shay & I  just laid on my bed & watched scary movies all night, I loved that. That was all I wanted.

One afternoon, Shay had decided to take me on a walk around the lake, showing me random paths & spots she found to hang out in. I mentioned to her before that I was scared to walk around the lake for fear of getting lost so she wanted to take me around.

"Okay, it's right over this little river." Shay said, pointing to this open area that she was taking me to. "This is one of my favorite spots."

"How do we get over there?"

"We cross the river, duh."

The river wasn't that wide but it was too wide to be able to jump over so I had no idea how we were getting across.

"& how do we cross this river, Shay?" 

"This way, c'mon."

We walked for about another minute before there were some stones across the river lined up.

"We hop on these." Shay said before jumping on the four rocks & landing on the other side across the river from me. I was actually terrified, I knew my balance could be shit & I didn't want to end up in this water, falling in front of Shay. But I did it for Shay. I took a deep breath, I concentrated on each individual stone I had to step on before landing on the other side of the river dry, luckily.

"I wanna show you something over here." Shay said, taking my hand, walking over to a specific tree & the pointing up.

On the tree there was a heart carved out with initials inside. "M.P & J.M"

"Do you know who they are?" I asked Shay. I mean those initials were clearly two people, a couple.

"Nope, I don't. But I was sitting up on that rock over there when I saw the couple carving it. They had to be like 21 or something, total young couple in love. It was adorable."

"Awh, that's cute."

"It was. I don't know, I just like this spot & I liked watching those two carve their initials. They knew they loved each other enough to permanently show it. I mean this tree was here for ages & it will continue to be here, their initials included. It's cool."

Shay & I sat on a tree stump leftover from a tree that had been chopped down for most of the afternoon, just sharing random thoughts with each other.

"So guess what tomorrow is?" Shay asked.

"What is it? I can't even begin to guess."

"It's my 100 days sober."

"Holy shit, Shay. That's amazing! I'm so happy for you!"

"So am I."

I leaned over & kissed Shay.