Chapter 26

This is your Reality?

Shay's P.O.V

Once we turned down my street, I just saw a swarm of people standing around & a lot of extra cars parked around. This was weird.

But it only took me a second to remember they were here for Michael.

There were some younger girls standing around too...shouldn't they be with their families? Like it's Thanksgiving! How did so many know where he was staying anyway? 

I won't lie, I was nervous. This was giving me anxiety. 

We were still standing far enough away that they hadn't noticed us yet...but they would soon. 

"Okay Shay, babe. Just hold my hand, don't let go, okay? I'm gonna have to push through & I need you to stay right behind me, alright? Normally I'd want you in between me & someone else but the other lads aren't here & I can't put you first because they won't let you through."

"Okay."

"It's gonna be okay. They won't follow us inside so we just need to walk down & get through the swarm. Don't say a word, don't react to anything."

"You're scaring me Mikey."

"I'm sorry this is my life baby, I'm so sorry."

"I miss the lake." I whispered.

"Me too Shay, me too. Let's just get inside, okay? Ready?" He asked me, holding my hand super tight. I nodded & took a deep breath before we continued walking towards the doors of my building.

Once we took just a couple steps closer, there was enough light thanks to the street lamps that everyone quickly noticed us.

Literally in a second there were flashes from all directions, people were running towards us, microphones were out in front of our faces, fans were screaming & questions were being yelled everywhere.

'Michael, where have you been?' 'Are you just fresh out of rehab?' 'Did you run off to be with her? Who is this? Who are you sweetie?' 'Why aren't you with your band? Were you kicked out?' 'Is 5sos over?' 'Who are you? Is your father John Parker?'

How the hell did they know my dad's name? I mean it wasn't hard to figure out who lived in this building because there was a public directory but still. If they knew my dad's name, they must have known mine.

They yelled in our faces the entire walk back to the building & once we near the doors, they kind of circled around which prevented us from going inside.

So this is what Michael meant by needing to push through. I get it now.

I held onto his hand as tight as I could but at one point, our hands slipped & I lost him.

"Michael!" I screamed. He turned around so fast & put his arm around me.

"Get out of our way! Please, have some respect!" He yelled. "Get out of our way!"

I never heard Michael so angry, it was scary.

It felt like forever but we managed to get through the doors & we walked straight to the elevator, waiting for it to open for us.

"Are you okay babe?" He asked, cupping my face in his hands.

"What the hell was that?"

"I'm so sorry that's my life. I wish it would go away sometimes. Just breathe, okay?"

The elevator opened & we went up to my floor, now safe at least.

"I'm sorry, Shay."

"You don't have to apologize. It isn't your fault."