Chapter 24

Grown Up Tattoo

Shay's P.O.V

I never slept well in my NYC house. I just always felt surrounded by my past. I couldn't sleep in my room because I would always think of Evan on my bed & everywhere I looked in my room, I only saw hiding places for my alcohol.

But having Michael next to me & knowing it was only for two days helped me sleep. Michael had this way of helping me feel like everything was going to be okay.

The next morning, my mom woke us up just by opening the blinds & letting in the light.

"Morning you two. There's breakfast out if you want any. Joan called & said the kids are already awake waiting for Miss. Shay to come over."

Those were the kids I used to babysit that Michael & I were going to watch the Thanksgiving Day parade with at their apartment.

Michael & I went to get dressed first before meeting my parents in the kitchen for breakfast.

My dad was sipping coffee, reading the business section & my mom was on her phone, probably reading gossip.

I didn't know how to bring up the conversation so I figured I'd just go right into it.

"Hey, mom & dad?" They both looked up at me. "Just so you know, I decided not to cover tonight anymore. If anyone asks where I've been, I'm gonna let them know I was in rehab & I'm currently at the lake recovering."

"Shay, you don't have to." My mom said. "It's okay to lie a little longer."

"No, I need to be truthful. You guys covering for me is to save your asses & make you guys look better but it's my life & you trying to hide this part of me makes me feel like you're ashamed of me & that's not helping me recover. I need to be honest. Lying is too much a part of the addiction, I don't lie anymore."

My dad was speechless, my mom looked pissed.

"Shay. A holiday is not the time to bring that up." My mom said sternly. 

"Then when is? I just can't hide it. I can't lie & tell them where I've been traveling when I was actually in treatment. Sorry your daughter isn't perfect, I'm sorry I don't fit into this high class life. & I'm sorry I screwed up but I can't hide it." & then I stood up & grabbed my coat, Michael following behind me. "We'll be at Joan's & then we're playing football with everyone. I'll see you at dinner."

Then the door to the elevator opened & we went inside.

"I'm proud of you, Shay." Michael said, taking my hand. "I think they'll come around."

"I hope."

Michael's P.O.V

I was really proud of Shay for sticking up to her parents. She definitely caught them off guard but she said what she needed to & that's what was important.

Once we left, Shay led us to her family friend's apartment which overlooked part of the parade route apparently. I hadn't seen a Thanksgiving Day parade before so I was kind of excited.

There were people everywhere walking to find spots to watch the parade so I kind of hid well in the crowd. I had my hood up just in case, I wanted to stay on the down low as much as possible. It felt weird being in public again though. I was so used to the lake now. But we made it to the other apartment without anyone seeing me.

Shay knocked at the door of the apartment & two little kids opened the door, both tackling Shay.

"Miss. Shay! We missed you!" The little girl said.