// Van //

"What are we celebrating then?" Asked Bob pouring another glass of whiskey, he was behind the bar, I was leaning on it, trying my best to feed on the energy of my friends who were dancing and singing, laughing and giggling around me.

The lights were low, shades of red moved in waves across the walls and the floor. The music shook the walls and the liquid in our drinks. I watched sticky black whiskey lapping over ice.

"We made the deal," I said daring a sideways grin. He dared too.

"With the Reids?" It was one of those surprised smiles, when I nodded his shock only grew. "Fuck," he breathed.

"I know," I said a grin cracking as I swirled my drink and she caught my eye again.

She was sitting on the edge of a table, licking a heart shaped lolly pop, swinging her legs lackadaisically as she giggled at something her older brother was saying.

I heard him and Blakes crack a low loud laugh and when I glanced back over she was lit up on them, eyes twinkling with a timid wickedness.

Isabelle.

She was the youngest in our family, everyones baby sister, and though her naivety, her hesitancy, might not have caught the attention of many, it caught mine more than anyone could imagine. I had the feeling there was more to her than she liked to let on.

"So what did you sacrifice then?" Bob leant forwards swirling the ice in his own glass. "Whats the catch..."

"No catch... the Reids have been fading out for years, they knew they had no other option,"

"Succumb to us or face extinction?" He smirked, I nodded smirking too, daring to glance at the girl over my shoulder again.

This time she was dancing, her brother held her hands and lead her around the floor, her hair falling about as she shook her hips and her head to the music. Gangly little limbs moving erratically in time to Twist and Shout. Her skin was milky, she glistened ethereal and creamy under the lowlight of the bar. I hadn't noticed the smile on my lips.

"She's sweet isnt she..." Camille mused leaning on the bar beside me. She didn't have to tell me that.

"Isabelle Bond, sweet as they come," I shrugged, "everyone knows that,"

"Shes too sweet," said Camille, "16 and she still doesn't understand why she has to wear that cap," Camille was cool and cold and her voice was that of dark honey. She smoked her cigarettes indoors and she never flinched, desensitized to violence of any kind. She could watch a killing as if she were watching an acquaintance blow out the candles on a shop bought birthday cake - that is to say with all the disinterest in the world.

"You know she's old enough now... we think she's got a lotta potential, smile like that and..." she was quoting somebody else, a teasing smirk, the lackadaisical roll of her eyes. Maybe it was that, the way she said it, the way the suggestion seemed to slip from her tongue without a second thought, which made my nerves twitch.

"No," I said, "nip it Camille,"

Camille lit another cigarette, I turned away.

"You can't just keep this from her forever Van..."

I tried to hide the tension in my jaw. Lit a cigarette of my own.

I watched her across the room as she twirled beneath Bondy's fingertips, brunette curls touselled, flaring out as she spun, smiling, joy overwhelming and exuding from her. And I knew.

Her skin honey glazed as sweat simmered under the red lights, glowed ethereal and heavenly, her eyes lit up as she tipped her head back laughing. Her lips were red, her cheeks pinched tinged pink.