Bite

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. There are some emotionally rough points in this chapter too, so please read with caution.

A tall figure stood over the stove while the other sat at a small, round table. Off to the side, the toaster beeped and popped out the toast.

After they had left the hospital, she had remained quiet. Edmund hadn't seemed to mind, and he had been considerate not to turn the radio on either. When they had arrived at her shared ... her apartment, she had no recollection of actually getting out of the car and ascending the steps. She only had remembered standing in her room and finding that the door had been closed behind her.

Now, she stepped forward until she slipped off her coat and hung it on the hanger. Her feet slipped out of her heels, and she kicked them back into the closet. Every action of hers felt like she was moving at the pace of a turtle, but part of her energy was going towards not breaking down into tears again. Not only that but also her mind was exhausted from all of it. She wanted to sleep, but she could hear Edmund moving around in her kitchen.

He was being kind enough to make breakfast, so she would wait until later. Then again, it sounded like he was staying for the whole day, but she didn't mind. If anything, she was relieved for the company and for the fact that she wouldn't have to take care of herself that day too much.

(F/n) removed her nightgown and folded it onto the bathroom counter. She didn't glance into the mirror; she didn't wish to view her face after crying, or she would cry all the more. Her feet dragged across the carpet before she removed a red pleated skirt, which went to her knees, and a white blouse with chiffon sleeves. After she changed into them, she slipped on some black fuzzy slippers and opened her room door gradually.

A yawn escaped her lips before her fingers traveled from covering her mouth to running through her hair. They got stuck almost instantly. Tiredly, she pulled some strands of hair to the front of her. Normally, she would've quickly run back into the bathroom to fix them, but she shrugged and removed her fingers. Later, she could repair her hair.

Continuing down the short hallway, she stopped. Her eyes glanced up to a framed picture, and her heart sunk lower into her chest. She closed her eyes and forced her head away. It had been an image of Reginald and her on a picnic in the mountains. A bubbling stream had been in the background, and trees had given them their own private grove.

Catching footsteps, she reopened her eyes. A black button-up met her eyes before her orbs stared at the olive green tie again. "I'm almost done with breakfast. Why don't you sit at the table and wait?" His voice was soft and smooth. It reminded her of the velvety texture of quality chocolate.

Instead of answering him, however, she reached up and loosened his tie until she slipped it from his neck. Her fingers ghosted across the skin of his neck in the process, and she thought for a moment that she saw him shiver. She brushed it aside and lowered her hands to in front of her before she held it back out to him.

Looking up, her eyes met his. "You should be comfortable. Make yourself at home." A kind smile greeted his lips, but she didn't note the overjoyed look in his orbs. "It's the least I can do for you helping me."