Chapter 6: Meditation

Reader POV

I woke up the next morning early and texted Todo.

Me: hey I am going out for a run. When I am back we can start training.

Todo: could I join you this morning?

I really wanted to just have the morning to myself after last night. To clear my head but I sighed and gave into him coming.

Me :sure be outside in 10

Todo: okay.

I got dressed in a green sports bra and Capri leggings with puma running shoes I put my hair in a ponytail instead of a bun and ran downstairs to meet Todo. I waited outside a moment before he came walking over. He was in black joggers with a blue hoodie with black sneakers. When he saw me run over his face immediately started turning red. What is going on with him lately? my goodness. "Goodmorning Todo!" I said giving him my usual tackle hug. Today was different though. He would usually hug me back or acknowledge me but today he immediately distanced himself. I looked at him confused when he started to take off his jacket and threw it to me.

"....Take this jacket.....its cold out....." It really wasn't, it was a little brisk but usually the run would heat me up and keep me warm, but God he was fine! His muscles never showed in his hero outfit of school clothes but Todo was in incredible shape, like DAMN!

"That's okay Todo I usually run outside like this I won't get sick." He needed to cover those arms! they were too much!

"Just wear it......" I had tried to hand it back to him but he basically forced it into my hands. I shrugged my shoulders and put it on...... it smelt so nice.... and comforting.... "....So where are we running.?" he asked looking away still.

"Well theirs a park a couple miles from here that I like to meditate at, its by the water, but no one really goes there so I don't think we will be bothered." I started jogging in the direction of the park and Todo immediately started jogging with me. "Running and talking was hard so he and I just listened to music, I had wireless earbuds so I gave him one and took the other. My playlist was mixed with music from all over the world and he seemed to enjoy most of it.

It only took us 20ish minutes to run to the park I had talked about. I had to slow down a little for Todo to keep up, but it was okay, this run wasn't about exhausting myself for training, I was using it to clear my head. When we got to the park I pulled him into an area where no one was and down to the creek. "I have been to this park so many times and never noticed this area." He said looking around at my little hideaway.

"Yeah well I have a knack for finding where water is. I don't know why though" I said sarcastically.

"Well you quirk would explain that...." He looked at me a bit like I was an idiot, he didn't always get my sarcasm, but it was cute none the less. I chuckled a little.

"Sarcasm my dear Todo.....Sarcasm" He scowled at me as he usually did when i messed with him and then I went down and sat at the creek...... I rested for a moment looking at the water, when  Todo came to join me.

"So how does this work?" He asked, meditating for the first time was always a struggle to explain. It was different for everyone.

"Well the goal of mediation is to empty your thoughts, your worries and your fears out of your mind. It's supposed to be a balance of emotions and a balance of the physical body." He was listening very intently. "Todo have you ever noticed when your ice or fire seems more erratic or out of control?"

"Yes, when I am angry or upset it usually is."

"Exactly, our powers are run on emotions."

"Well I lack many of those emotions." He was serious......this poor boy....

"Todo I don't think you lack emotions, I think you suppress them.....suppress them until they explode, like a pot of boiling water...you let things hang on you until they overflow. You even said you get angry sometimes and your lack of control shows that." He was silently listening to my criticism, "I can get mad to and when I do my control suffers and although their is a time and place to lose that control most of the time to be a hero we need to maintain it! With Ice and water its the flow of calmness clarity and acceptance. For your fire....and this is only a guess.....its more about passion and confidence. Now I can't help you with your fire, but I want to help you maybe have a better idea about who you are and what your ice can do. With you having both sides of the elemental spectrum on your side balance is even more important for you then anyone else."

Todo was silent for a moment then nodded to me." I think you may be correct about a lot of that. I'll do as you say." He straightened his back up as he sat from me cross legged. "How can we start?"

"Well first," I crossed my legs and sat in front of him. "You need to relax....physically, you are always wound up far to tight..." Looking at him....he was stiff. He was always stiff, always lookign like he needed a massage.....or smoke a joint of something.....I grabbed his shoulders and wiggled them, but he continued to stiffen. It was like trying to move around the tin man with no oil. "Just relax Todo like me." He was still struggling to relax when I thought of something. "Hey Todo?

"Yeah?" he replied.

"What makes you feel calm or at peace?"

"Hmmmm......" He thought for a moment before answering. "The sound of rain seems to calm me......looking at the garden in the night....."

I looked at Shoto and smiled at his innocent answer "Close your eyes and think of those things then, envsion yourself being surrounded by the noises and smells that make you feel at ease." He closed his eyes. After a moment he began to relax. "Good Todo just like that, how do you feel?"

"....I feel.......calm....I feel better...." I looked at his features with his eyes closed, even with his burn he was so handsome, inside and out.

"Good Todo.....Meditation is all about peace and control over your emotions and body. It's a balance to your life. You don't have to meditate long, but anyone can do it and I think you will start to feel a change in yourself with it. Meditating can release emotional pain, worry and doubts."

"How long do you usually do this for?"

"It can be as long or as short as you want it to be. I just do it until I feel like I'm ready to be done. We can do this as long or as short as you  would like. Just keep in mind with meditation, we empty ourselves of our thoughts, many times I do I can think of an answer to a problem or let go of something bothering me." I closed my eyes and joined Todo. I could feel he was starting to melt that ice around his soul. Slowly but surely.