Chapter 71

Wow, guys! This book is longer than my first work( which I think is total cringe anyway)

Italics- past tense
Regular- present tense

It was a trap, a set up, one I should have seen from the start. She should have went home many days ago, almost two weeks, maybe three. She didn't look panicked as a protector of children should be, in fact, she was calm. Her odd behavior should have warned me as well but I easily look passed it, my concerns of the endangered children was all that I had on my mind at the moment. Those were all the mistakes that had me panicking and drowning.

We headed East, the terrain inclining as we conquered one of mountain ranges. The lack of scents confused me but I pushed it away, telling myself that there is no reason anyone should really want to be here except for patrolling. I could physically feel the border of the pack, my wolf not wanting to leave the territory.

"Why are we leaving?"

"Uh, we were uh, chased by the, uh, by the.."

"The bear?"

"Yes, right, the bear. The kids and I were chased out of the territory. They might be close."

'Uncommon behavior for a bear, I thought. Bears just tend to chase something off, not run after something for such a distance as they aren't much of distance runners. They are more fighters, hence why they have short but power legs and arms.

"What were you doing out here anyway, especially with kids. Spring and fall are the bear seasons."

"We were uh, looking for herbs! Yeah, we were looking for herbs."

"And you decided it would be a good idea to take kids with you? This far outside the pack?" I growled at her.

"I-I thought it would be a good learning experience for them?"

"Who are they?" I asked, trying to pick up their scents. I smelled a few but none were familiar to my pack. "I can't smell them."

"They are from my pack." She rushed out. "You wouldn't be able to identify them anyway but they are Billy and Jenny."

"Why are you back here, anyway? You're pack left a while ago."

"I stayed to help out with the damages." She replied easily, relaxing at the change in subject.

In the distance I could hear the rushing, powerful sound of moving water and I could smell the mist in the air. The forest turned a darker, more lush green as we approached the source of water. The foliage grew thick, blocking the natural light from the sun and the fauna became sparse.