Why is this my life?

Merrily POV

---------------------------

I hurried out of my house, narrowly dodging a Jack Daniels bottle aimed at my head. Luckily, school isn't very far away so I don't need anyone to drive me. Wait, hold up. I haven't introduced myself. My name is Merrily Evans. I am a fourteen-year-old, currently attending Liberty High School. It's only two weeks away from summer and I'm dreading it. I am a little short at five foot two and I have long, wavy blonde hair that I like to style in complicated braids. My eyes are gray-blue, which I've been told is a pretty color. I have been labeled as ADHD and dyslexic. I enjoy finding problems in old military strategies, the National Geographic Channel, and Greek mythology. I don't have any friends and my father is a baker during the day and alcoholic and abusive by night. Don't even get me started on my mom.

Anyway, as I'm walking to school, I get the feeling that something or someone is following me. I turn to look behind me, but nothing is there. I grab my books from my locker, ignoring the disgusting slurping sounds coming from the locker next to mine. Why can't Lana and that poor, unfortunate boy make out someplace else? I run from homeroom to my favorite class of the day, Greek mythology, taught by Mr. Avon. His classes are always so much fun! Once, we all acted out parts of the Giant War. Today, though, Mr. Avon was a few minutes late. When he finally arrived, he had two new kids trailing behind him.

The first boy gave off a feeling of dark power, which I found oddly attractive. He had raven black hair, dark brown eyes, and pale skin. He was short and thin at what I guessed to be around five foot six. The boy was wearing a black shirt with a skull on it, black jeans, black, torn up Converse and an Aviator's jacket. He was looking darkly around at everyone, his eyes stopping on me. When he saw me looking at him, his cheeks turned a light pink and he started twisting his skull ring.

The next boy made me want to yell "look out!". He looked like a Latino elf. He had curly brown hair and slightly pointed ears. He was about the same height as Skull Boy, and scrawny, though his baggy clothes seemed to hide it slightly. This boy was wearing a white button-down shirt with grease stains all over it with a pair of brown trousers held up by red suspenders. On his feet, he wore brown work boots. All-in-all he resembled a mechanic. All he needed was a tool belt to finish up the look. His eyes darted around the classroom furtively, stopping on me for a few seconds longer. His fingers were tapping out a strange pattern on his pants.

"Class, meet Leo Valdez and Nico di Angelo," Mr. Avon says, gesturing to each boy as he said their names. "Leo, you can take that seat next to Merrily and Nico, there's a seat by that window." Skull Boy, now known as Nico, skulked to his seat and averted his eyes from the window like he was allergic to sunlight. Leo bounds down the aisle and plops himself down in the seat next to mine.

As Mr. Avon begins talking, Leo pulls out various small items. These include wires, springs, pipe cleaners, washers, small screws, what looks like a pair of dismantles eyeglasses and a tiny watch repair kit. His fingers begin moving quickly as he begins to construct a tiny something right before my eyes.

I must have been staring because a few minutes later, Leo gives me a sideways look and says with a mischievous grin, "Close your mouth or you'll catch flies."

I quickly snap my mouth shut. "Why do you have all that stuff?"

"It helps keep me focused," is his reply. Leo pulls out tiny scraps of metal and a few hinges and turns back to his project before I can say anything else.

Suddenly, Lana Miller, a popular girl taps me on the shoulder while Mr. Avon's back is turned. "Merrily, right?" she asks, her voice honey sweet. "I think we should be friends. How about you come over to my house?" A warm feeling washes over me and for some reason, I want to be best friends with this girl and go to her house right away.