Tracy

Leo POV

--------------------

How dare Nico steal Merrily away from me? Though technically, I never had her in the first place. But I think back to when we first kissed, in the infirmary. I'd never felt so at peace. The turmoil in my head had seemed to slow and every negative thought I'd had flew away. But now, it was kind of obvious she's into Nico now. Which sucks for both me and Chey.

Gods, poor Chey. I mean, it's not like he was cheating on her or anything. But imagine having one of your best friends tell you that your boyfriend broke up with you so they could date your friend. And it was quite obvious she really cared for Josh. I wonder if she actually likes Nico. I'll probably never know. Girls are confusing.

I mean, one second they're kissing you in the infirmary and the next they hate your guts. How does that work? However, I happen to have a job to do. Everyone else besides Ryan is sleeping. And we have a rather interesting conversation.

"So Ryan," I say nonchalantly. "How'd you and David become friends?"

"Long story," he replies shortly.

"Well, we have thirty minutes until we even begin to descend," I tell him. "I've got time."

"How about I just don't tell you."

"Are you selling drugs?"

"Excuse me?" Ryan exclaims. "How would you- why would you think that?"

"A little bird," I answer. "So are you?"

"Listen, it wasn't even my choice, okay?" Ryan snaps. "David roped me into it."

I snort. "How exactly does that work? I mean, you're your own person."

"It's a long story," Ryan says shortly, effectively ending the conversation. The rest of the trip is generally silent.

After landing in Missouri, I let everyone sleep for a little while. I never really sleep, so I stay awake, tinkering with Festus. And I may or may not be watching Merrily sleep. Don't judge me, okay?

At around five in the morning, my friends begin to show minimal signs of life. Abigail pushes up her sleeping mask and lets down her hair, which is completely untangled and void of any miscellaneous objects. Ryan sleepily rubs his eyes, spits on his hand and then smooths his hair back into its proper place. At the same time, Chey yawns and begins to brush out her bushy hair, finally putting it in a ponytail, and leaving off her trademark rainbow headband. Meanwhile, Merrily wipes her eyes and lets her hair out of its braid, allowing it to fall in soft waves down her back. As she unzips her sleeping bag, Nico shields his eyes from the minimal sunlight streaming over the hill and shakes his messy hair out of his eyes.

"So, Abigail," Ryan asks. "Where did you live?"

"Pretty near here," she replies, brushing out her hair. "About four miles down the road."

"I don't see anything," Chey points out. This is a true statement. The area we're in is completely void of all life, grassy fields spreading out in all directions.

"Guess we better start walking then," I sigh.

After walking for what seems like ages, though when I check my watch, it's only been about thirty minutes, Nico asks a question.

"So Abigail, what's your backstory?"

Abigail frowns. "Honestly it's not too bad. I dunno, I guess my dad was never really all that proud of me. I don't think he lives there anymore though."