Broken Hearts and Family Dinners

Merrily POV

-----------------------

I so missed all of my cousins, aunts, and uncles and my grandmother and my grandpa and my half-brother. Yes, I have a half-brother. Anyway, to be exact, I have thirteen cousins (three are once removed) because my dad has four brothers. The reason I have a half-brother is because my dad was known for one-night stands. Seth is a sophomore in college and was raised by my Uncle Joseph. He's really annoying.

Right now, we're at the farmhouse up in Flowery Branch. I've been here for a week already and Christmas is next week. The place is huge and has plenty of room for everyone. I'm sharing a room with my cousin Ellie. She's thirteen and really nice.

So, I'm minding my own business, reading (or attempting to read) on my bed when I hear the doorbell ring. My grandmother calls out that she's got it and I sit back down. All is well until I hear a voice that I was not supposed to be hearing until way after New Years.

"Hi, Mrs. Evans."

"You're Leo right?" I drop my book and storm into the front foyer.

"Leo?"

"Why?" he demands. Leo thrusts his hand at me and I see the bracelet. That was the little gift I left.

"I didn't want to deal with--" Leo cuts me off.

"Never mind the fact that you left me with a torture device, this was to shield you from monsters," Leo rants. I pale.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think," I admit.

"Dang right you didn't think," Leo scowls at me. "And that's not the only reason I came..." Leo looks awkwardly behind me. I look behind myself as well and see several heads of blonde hair duck behind the walls. I roll my eyes and push us out onto the porch, closing the door behind us.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Nico... he's going to break up with you," he explains, rather hurriedly playing with the ends of his red scarf. I feel my breath catch in my throat. "In about five minutes actually, over Iris message."

"What?" I can feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"Don't cry; he can't know I told you!" Leo panics. "I'll head back to Festus now."

"Under no circumstances will you go back, it's not safe!" Leo and I both stare at the front door to see my grandmother standing there with her hands on her hips.

"Um, it's actually more danger--"

"Nope." My grandmother grabs Leo's upper arm and drags him into the house. "You can help me with dinner."

Right as the door closes an Iris message pops up to reveal Nico standing in his cabin awkwardly. "Hey, Merrily."

"Hi, Nico!" I greet solemnly.

"I want to tell you something," he mutters.

"You're breaking up with me." Nico pauses.

"How did you know?" he asks.

"Little birdie," I reply. I cut Nico off as he tries to explain. "Don't worry about it. Just tell me later, okay." I cut the connection and turn away tears stinging my eyes. I sit outside for about five minutes before making to walk inside. I hear an Iris message pop up again.

It's Chey and she's crying. "Merrily!"

"Chey?" I ask. "What's wrong?"

"Nico just asked me out and I said no but I didn't know if you knew--"