Hope and Joy

Leo POV

--------------

It's crazy how beautiful Merrily looks when she's being all doctor-y and stuff. Which is not what I should be thinking about while Chey is busy dying. Nico picks Chey up bridal style while I corral everyone out of the house.

While we're walking, I notice Merrily looks a little lonely, considering that her boyfriend is carrying her best friend and Ryan and Abigail are in an intense conversation. I go up next to her.

"So, weather's nice isn't it?" I say, then mentally slap myself. Talking about the weather?

"Well Leo, I'm sweating buckets, so yeah the weather's perfect," Merrily snaps back. I take a big step to the side and Merrily sighs. "Sorry, I'm being a jerk. Are you hot?"

"Smokin'," I reply bouncing my eyebrows up and down.

"I didn't mean like that, you idiot!" Merrily scolds playfully. "I meant like your temperature hot."

"Still smokin'," I grin. Merrily rolls her eyes as we come upon a large gated house. "This is it," I say the smile sliding off my face. Since I don't feel like using the intercom, I pick the automated lock on the gate and we hurry inside. Nico and Ryan are trailing behind a little. I come up to the grand front doors. My fingers hover over the doorbell.

"Here, I'll do it," Merrily offers, giving me a half smile. Merrily rings the doorbell and my breath catches in my throat. The door opens and there stands my Aunt Rosa in all of her ugly glory. Apparently, she forgot to get that mole removed.

"Who are you?" she growls, her eyes barely passing over me.

"My name is Merrily Evans and these are my friends," Merrily explains. "My friend, Cheyenne, ingested some poison and we were just wondering if you could let us use some of your things to help take care of her."

"Well, what would you need?" Aunt Rosa asks, eyeing Chey's limp body in Nico's arms.

"Water," Merrily says. "If we can get her enough water, it should wash the poison out of her body."

I can practically see the gears whirring in Aunt Rosa's head. "Fine," she relents. "Raphael can show you to the guest bedroom." I gulp. If Aunt Rosa hasn't recognized me, Raphael definitely will. "Raphael?" Aunt Rosa calls. "Show these children to the guest room. Young man you can leave that stroller in the foyer."

We all troop inside the house. Honestly, it hasn't changed much since I was last here, except there was some newer technology. Raphael, with a shiny, new smartphone clutched in his pudgy hand, leads us down the hallway.

He cocks his head at me. "Do I know you from somewhere?"

My palms start to get sweaty. "Uh, no, I don't think so. Why?"

"You look like someone I know, that's all," he says, before continuing on his way. Everyone looks at me weird, but I subtly shake my head no. Raphael deposits us in a guest bedroom where there is a nice, big bathroom. In the bathroom, there's an old metal jug under the sink.

Merrily rushes about like a madwoman, cleaning out the jug, filling it with water, checking Chey's temperature, and instructing Ryan in the correct way to change a baby's diaper (again). Finally, Merrily manages to get Chey to gulp down the water, and Chey quickly falls into a deep sleep and Merrily leans back against the wall, sleepy.

"She'll be okay," she gasps. "Fever's gone."

"That's good," I say, sighing.

"I'll go upstairs and let her know," Abigail says. "Ryan and Nico, you can come with me." The four leave, which leaves Merrily and me alone together.

"Listen," she says at last. "Sorry for snapping at you and then giving you the cold shoulder. You were just trying to help."

"It's fine," I say. "If anyone should be apologizing, it's me. I shouldn't have pushed you."

"Leo Valdez, I swear to Hades if you don't let me apologize—" Suddenly a shout snaps us out of our conversation.

"I knew it was you!" Raphael grins. "Just wait till I tell Mom about this one!" I freeze, scared. I can hear thumping footsteps on the stairs as Raphael goes to tell Aunt Rosa I'm here. The footsteps stop for a little while and then several pairs of footsteps begin coming downstairs. Aunt Rosa bursts in the room, Raphael close on her heels and my friends (I think) trying to push their way past.

"You!" she growls at me. "You come back here after seven years and expect me to welcome you? ¡Asesinaste a mi hermana, diablo! ¡Mereciste morir en ese fuego con ella!" Throughout her rant, Aunt Rosa moved closer until she was in my face. I could feel the hot tears making their way down my face as she reached out a hand and slapped me. Hard. Then she shoved me to the ground.

I bit my lip, waiting for another blow when I hear another shout. "Hey, leave him alone!" I turn and wipe my eyes and see Merrily twisting Aunt Rosa's wrist. "You can't talk to him like that!"

"That diablo murdered his mother," Aunt Rosa growled. The words hit me like a punch in the gut and the tears fall faster. I am unable to stop them, and I don't know why. Images, again, begin to flash in front of my eyes. It feels as though I'm being sucked into a dark abyss of nothing but pain, fear, and guilt. My mother's face frowning down at me. Gaea. Flames. Fire. Pain. These all swirl around me in a confusing pattern. They close in, constricting my breathing. I begin to gasp for air.

I can't feel. I can't see. I can't breathe. How long will this go on? How long until it kills me? Do I want to live, though? Is it worth it? Everyone has left me. My mother. My friends. Calypso. Is there anything left for me in this world? I contemplate just stopping trying to breathe. It would be better, to die again.

Right then, a wonderful face, blue-gray eyes, light freckles, long blonde hair, floats in front of my vision, dulling the roar of misery in my head.

I recognize that face, that feeling. It's love. It's hope. It's joy. I grab onto those feelings and cling onto them with all my might. My eyes seem to open and I am met by that same face, peering down at me. And it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

---------------

That's a wrap guys! I hope you liked it, and I apologize for not getting it out sooner. Between getting grounded, finals and writers' block, this chapter was really hard to get out. So thank you so much to my readers for inspiring me to get this chapter done!

FYI, I do not own PJO or HoO

I will not be posting again until the New Year, so Merry Christmas everyone and have a Happy New Year!

Leo: No matter how hard life gets, focus on the bright side. Feliz Navidad everyone!

Nico: Always go towards the light! Merry Christmas!

Merrily: Don't forget to spend time with your family and friends! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Chey: The nice list is for suckers, but also never doubt your importance, because there's always someone out there who cares. Merry Christmas!

Abigail: Remember to keep the Christmas spirit of love in your heart! Merry Christmas!

Ryan: Never give up on life, no matter what because it just might bring you something good. Merry Christmas from me and Taylor!

David: Your loved ones are always with you and watching over you, even in death. Merry Christmas!