Ultimatum

St. Ignatius College Prep graduation day for the class of 2010 was on a particularly dark and raining Saturday morning in June. The sky was an omen of what was to come.

Mia was looking forward to graduating and being done with high school. She was accepted at Elmhurst College in Chicago, where she was planning on majoring in history, minoring in business (as a backup plan), and getting a teaching certificate in secondary education so that she can become a high school history teacher.

Alexander was looking forward to graduating and spending the summer with Mia before he headed off to the prominent University of Chicago Booth, where he was fortunately given a full ride to their elite and selective business program. In order to fulfill the demands Mia's parents have he is planning on becoming a successful businessman and converting to a Catholic so he can one day marry Mia. Furthermore, this was the plan he gave Mia's parents, but they refuse to hear him so he is going to show them. Since ultimately, actions speak louder than words.

The ceremony started and eventually it finally reached Mia's turn. Alexander was Mia's biggest supporter, letting out a victory cry and clapping the hardest. He was so proud of his love.

After waiting his turn Alexander made his way to the stage. He was handed his diploma and while departing the stage, he caught sight of Mia beaming at him in the audience. Alexander smiled when he reflected on how Mia and him met, and now they are graduating together. Nevertheless, Alexander couldn't wrap his head around how he is in a relationship with the uppermost beautiful woman in the world. 

When the ceremony was finished, the newly graduated couple made arrangements to meet up quickly before heading with their families to celebrate. However, before finding Mia, Alexander was shocked when Mia's father approached him. 

Philip-Alexander I need to talk to you privately.

Alexander-Why?

Philip-I will tell you when we reach somewhere less publicly.

After walking they both ducked into a corner.

Alexander-What is so essential that you pulled me away?

Philip-I told you weeks ago to break up with Mia. I knew that you two sneaked off and continued the relationship behind my back, even through I prohibited it. I let it play out for a high school fling, but now that she graduated it must come to a close.

Alexander-Never, I know you do not approve of me, but I am working towards making myself worthy in your eyes. I am urging you to give me the chance to show my worth. I am working towards fulfilling all of your conditions in order to marry your daughter. I love your daughter and would do anything for her.

Philip-Then you will do what is best for her. Her mother and I plan for her to marry a wealthy man who can take care of her and who follows our religion. The two of you just come from vastly different circumstances, which is why the end of your relationship was inevitable. I know your plan. But that's it. Just a plan. It is highly unlikely you are successful. Davis International was created by my father. He knew the right people, he came from an upper-middle class family, and he used his connections to build his empire. You on the other hand, have no one worthwhile and barely any money to your name.

Alexander-Then help me. You mentioned your father used his connections. 

Philip-I can, but I won't. I wish for Mia to be able to make me new connections. Which is why I am giving you an ultimatum. If you do not break up with Mia I will disown her. She will be out on the streets and she will not go to college and be the high school history teacher she dreams to be. No bank will give a loan to a disabled girl who has never worked a day in her life. She will not receive a full ride as opposed to you because of her disabilities. So do you choose to be with her, knowing that decision will have consequences that will ruin her life and future?

Alexander-You are horrible. I was met with your disapproval, when all I wanted was your acceptance. I was planning on being your biggest ally, but you just made me your biggest enemy. I love Mia so much I will make the sacrifice of letting her go. But know this. One day I will be back and you will feel my wrath. I will make you pay for everything you have done to me. You will regret this day when I take everything from you. Start counting your days. When I am back, I will make up for all the lost time.