Coming In Sick

(Mia's POV)

A few months have gone by and Mia's and Alexander's relationship have been improving. Mia considered Alexander a friend. They even hung out a few times outside of their Monday meetings. Alexander never gave up on his quest for Mia's heart. He still made excessive romantic comments and over-the-top gestures, but he did scale it back a little. 

Mia has kept her feelings for Alexander under control. She gradually warmed up to him, but barely showed him a hint of romantic affection or gave him any hope for their future, until this first Monday in October.

Mia wakes up from a restless sleep. Right away she can tell she is sick. The symptoms she is feeling are fever, runny nose, sore throat, headache, and nausea. For a few minutes she lays in bed debating on rather to go to the meeting or not, but she rationalizes that the students, need the scholarships, internships, and more academic/financial support. Especially with FAFSA beginning and needing to get everything together for the teacher recommendations before the college applications are due. 

Mia slowly and sluggishly gets out of bed and showers. After the shower she feels a little better due to the steam and the medicine she took. Once she finishes drying her hair she goes to her closet. Wishing she can wear her pajamas to the meeting, even better yet not going to her meeting, she decides today is the day for comfortable. She decides to wear a comfy light long sleeve dark purple shirt, black sweatpants, and a black hoodie. If Alexander has anything to say about it she will make the comment on how he always says she looks beautiful no matter what she wears. 

After slowly making her way out the door, Mia gets in a taxi and much later arrives at Wilson International.

Mia walks into the lobby and heads straight for the elevator. Not even stopping to greet Sarah the secretary. The loud voices in the lobby increased Mia's headache to where she is clutching and rubbing her head in the elevator. She drops her hands when the doors to Alexander's floor open.

Thomas frowns when he sees Mia. She does not look good at all. Its clear from a mile away that she is sick. 

(In Thomas's head)-Oh, great. Mr. Wilson will freak out when he sees her. Why couldn't Sarah warn me? I am going to have to punish her next time we hook up. If she warned me I could have taken my break now and escaped his wrath. He is not too pleased she is half an hour late, now this, just great. Its decided. I am getting a heavy drink after work. I am going to need that reward to get me through this day.

Out loud Thomas says-Ms. Davis, are you feeling okay? You do not look well and you are over half an hour late. If you need medical services I can call someone. If you want, I can tell Mr. Wilson that you are unwell and would be going home. I can even reschedule you when you are better.

Mia tries to smile, but was unsuccessful-Thank you, Thomas. I am not feeling well. I do not need medical services at the moment. I need to get the work done today, because of the students deadlines. I am hoping to go a little earlier, if possible, but I will stay and get the job done. I am sorry that I was a half hour late.

Thomas not sure if he should let her go inside and not home or to the nearest hospital says-Are you sure?

Mia tries to nod, but the motion starts another cough attack. Cough Cough Cough-I am sure. I am going to head inside now. Do not want to waste anymore time. The sooner I am done the sooner I can go home. Cough Cough Cough.

Thomas grimaces in defeat-Okay. So Thomas knocks on Alexander's door. 

Alexander shouts-Come In! 

You could hear the anger in his voice. Alexander is pacing at his desk ready to probably scold her for being late, but before he opens his mouth, he takes a good look at her and shuts his mouth for a moment.