Chapter XI

You held loosely to his arm with one hand and the railing of the staircase in the other. The guests stared at the host and his celebratory guest in awe. You felt embrassed with all this attention. And why did Ciel plan matching outfits? It looks ridiculous! But no matter what you thought, you felt a small smile slip your lips. This day was the nicest event and celebration set just for you. He led you the middle of the room were the musicians began a waltz piece. Ciel grabbed around your waist with one hand and your hand in his other. You took your free hand and held onto his shoulder. It felt like the princess moment every little girl dreams of having. The room and everyone else who also joined in the dance just seemed to fade away. You blushed slighty as Ciel stared at you. "Lady Belmont, you look stunning tonight" he stated. "Thank you Lord Phantomhive, you look quite handsome as well." He nodded in response. There was a bit of silence between you and him for a little bit but then someone tapped Ciel on the shoulder. He turned to see Sebastian standing over him. "What do you need Sebastian?" Ciel stated clearly very annoyed. He didn't let go of you.  Sebastian whispered in his ears and then Ciel turned to you. Without a word, he led you back to the staircase. "Ciel, what is going on?" You inquired. The room fell silent and Ciel stated loudly "Lady Belmont, at my request, it would be wonderful to hear you perform on your flute for me and my guests." He smirked. You fell frozen. "Ciel wants me to play for an audience?!" You thought. Before even responding, the flute that Ciel bought for you was presented by Sebastian. You felt your nerves picking up as you assembled the three main parts of the instrument. Mother taught you everything you knew about music theory and you had plenty of fine tutors to teach you to be an outstanding player but, yet, you felt your heart beating faster and your face turning pale. You last played for the Countess but haven't had the opportunity to practice. Perhaps it would bring Ciel satisifcation to hear you play?

You brought the flute up into its upright position and left out a weak note. Ciel's smirk turned into a frown. You felt tears forming. "I can do this. I can do this." You told yourself over and over. But it didn't matter, you already made an embrassment of yourself. The guests started to mumble amoung themselves. You put the flute down carefully on the stairs, grabbed the bottom of your skirts, and ran. Cutting through the middle of the group of guests, you turned quicked and found yourself in the garden again. Looking around quickly, you ran past Finny who asked what the matter was. Ignoring him, you ran into the greenhouse and sat at the table and chairs were you and Ciel once ate lunch at and played chess.

You didn't understand it. Why would Ciel make you go through all this when you mentioned that you are terrified of playing in front of crowds? You played with your skirt some and used you hands to wipe the tears away. "Mom would have been so disappointment in me" you whispered to yourself. You looked up and laughed a bit. "Funny how I end up in the gardens in my moments of sadness and fear" you said aloud. You didn't spite Ciel for what had happened. For he probably wanted to see you overcome your fears. "Yes, that's it!" you thought. "But I can't go back. I can't play it and I made a fool of myself for running off." You said aloud. "Indeed you did my lady." You turned to see Sebastian standing there with a frown on his face. You stepped back some upon seeing him. "My lady," he bowed slightly. "My lord requests that you return to the birthday celebration." "Sebastian," you began. "Please tell Ciel that I extend my apologizes but I do not plan on returning to the party." Sebastian started to step closer, his eyes turning crimson. It terrified you. "My lady, the young master requests your return. Now, you can either walk yourself back or I will force you back." You ended up stepping so far back that you hit the wall of the greenhouse. Sebastian was only mere inches away from you. He looked into your eyes. You felt your chest heaving up and down. Those eyes, they were not human. You nodded and he moved back some.
He led you back to the ballroom after allowing yourself to freshen up. Ciel was sitting on a couch talking to the men about business. The ladies were in the adjacent sitting room enjoying tea. It felt odd to see the ballroom look so empty. Ciel and the other men rose as you approached with Sebastian following. "Thank you Sebastian, you are dismissed." Ciel stated. Sebastian bowed and walked away. Ciel looked at you, there was cleary that concerned look you saw in his one eye. "Lady Belmont," Ciel looked at you up and down. "Please, let me introduce you to some of my business partners." You didn't expect that at all. One man set forward, took your hand, and planted a quick and small kiss against your knuckles. "Enchantée" you curtised back. "Mr. Smith is the head of a distribution company that Phantomhive toys is partnered with to send shipments of our products across the world." Ciel explained. "We also bring in the materials needed for production." He explained. You nodded your head.  "Lord Phantomhive tells us that you also lost your family recently and have decided to take hold of your family's business." He inquired. "Yes, that's correct." You responded. A man standing with a drink in hand looked at you and opened his mouth. "Well I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that it's not a young lady's place to be operating as the head of a large business." All of the men looked shocked at the gentlemen's quick outburst. And all eyes turned to Ciel as silence filled the room. He smirked and chuckled a bit. "Mr. Kingston, its no secret that your wife sleeps around and that your son ran away and joined the bloody circus." Ciel looked at him firmly. "Perhaps you should keep your mouth shut before something bad happens." You looked at you feet and was smoothing out your skirt when the gentleman was looking at you. His face turned to anger. "You little brat," he spat out at Ciel. "Just because daddy left you with his money doesn't make you any better than the rest of us." Sebastian returned and went to Ciel's side. Ciel looked unfazed during this man's constant throwing of insults. "And you!" He approached you, all the men in the room stood up, including Ciel who looked beyond angry. This man grabbed your face. "You could never get to the level of these men in this room." Silence fell and Ciel whispered, "Sebastian.." Sebastian looked at this young master waiting for instruction. "I already did." You spoke to him and kneed him in the stomach. "Remove him." Ciel whispered. Sebastian leaped forward and grabbed Mr.Kingston. In a matter of milliseconds Sebastain and Mr.Kingston were gone. Ciel stepped forwarded and grabbed your hand. He made you sit next to him on the couch. You were shocked at Mr.Kingston's behavior but knew that it wouldn't be the first of the criticisms that you would receive. You socialized and talked of the business affairs with the rest of the gentlemen. All of which who were well aware of the consequences of getting on the young Lord Phantomhive's bad side. Sebastian brought you a cup of tea eventually. "What did you do with Mr.Kingston?" You inquired as Sebastian placed the cup in front of you. "I simply removed him following the young master's orders." He smiled. Ciel looked unamused at the butler's expression.
The party ended and you said your goodbyes to the guests. Many of them had interest in helping you expand your company's brand abroad or to act as investors. The ladies returned and you curstied your farwells to them as well. Many of them having scoffed at you but retaliated following seeing the expression of the earl next to you. After the last of the guests departed, you began up the stairs. You arrived at your bedroom door and quickly entered. You changed into your night shift and took your hair down. Looking at the bedside table, you saw a fresh pair of lillies in the vase with a note. Taking it out of the envlope you read.

Miss. (Y/N) Belmont,
I hope you enjoyed the birthday celebration and my gift. However, I have one last surprise for you. Please enjoy.
Best Regards,
The Earl of Phantomhive

You smiled at the flowers, knowing at the old ones were dying out. "How sweet of him to collect new ones for me" you thought. You went back to the vanity stool and brushed your hair. You stared at yourself for a bit. People always said that you looked like your mother but you knew that you had your dominant father's eyes. You smiled at yourself, the evening was splendid other than the first mishap. You put the brush down and took off the makeup. There was a knock at your bedroom door. You looked up, grabbed your dressing gown, and threw it over you. You opened the door a crack and there stood Ciel, still dressed from the evening's earlier events. "May I can in my lady?" He inquired looking at you with his one blue eye.