Chapter XXXVII

You awoke the next morning, not wanting to leave the warm comforts of bed. The cold air struck your hand and arm as you reached around for your night shift. You shivered as your wrapped it around yourself. "A hot bath would be nice right now." You thought aloud, stepping into some slippers. You walked to your bathroom and ran the hot water. Grabbing your hair brush, you began to brush your hair. "What a weird dream last night...with that raven again." You shook the thought out of your head. The bath was ready. You stripped down and stepped into the tub; the warm water greeting your cold form. You glanced around the small bathroom. The pale green wallpaper didn't match the outside world. You thought of the days outdoors with your parents enjoying a picnic and running in the fields with the servants. "Am I truly happy here?" You questioned this more often lately. "This cold and large manor is not a place for me. It's feels so haunted." You readjusted your position in the tub. "I enjoy Ciel's championship." You blushed slightly at the thought of the Lord. "But I know that I cannot stay, for both the sake of him and I.  But where do I go?" You started to wash your arms with the bar of soap. "I cannot afford to purchase a home. And the home I once knew, is no longer mine." You put the soap down after washing your body. "Perhaps I could get a room at a hotel for a little bit or pay for a room in another home." You washed your hair and exited the tub. You re-dressed yourself and stepped out into your bedroom. Placing your hair brush down on the dressing table, you looked at your reflection in the mirror. You saw a letter sitting on your desk. Walking over to the desk, you reached for the letter and read it.

You dressed in a simple brown gown and sat near the fireplace, hoping that the heat would help your hair dry. You read an manuscript about the rise and fall of the Roman Empire for a little bit. Looking up for a moment, you noticed that it was time to begin your day. You sat at your dressing table and began to get ready for the day. You brushed your hair back into a long ponytail and secured it with a ribbon. Rising from your seat, you stepped out into the hallway, closing the door behind you. You strolled down the hall slowly glancing at the artwork hanging. Frowning, you thought about how you could make some changes to help liven up the manor soon. Shaking your head, you knew that Ciel would never approve. You entered the music room that you found rather recently. The flute sitting in the last place you left it from the day before. You sat at the panio and struck an A key. Picking up the flute, you began tuning it. You felt that feeling overtake you once more as you felt yourself playing again. It felt as if every small step and breath you took in helped you fly further and further away. You were up in the clouds, embracing it as your light hearted melody flew across your fingers. Gone was the days of cold winters, and gone were the days of your uncertainty of Lord Phantomhive. The only thing you see ahead of you is that sun rising in the horizon on a warm morning. You felt the sunshine in your eyes, music in your eyes, and happiness in your soul. You saw it - an angel of music.

You were startled by a hand on your shoulder. You moved the flute away from your lips and turned to see Sebastian standing above you. He looked very displeased. "Sebastian," you looked at the butler. "Do you need something?" He bowed, "My Lady," he began. "The young Lord has requested you." You nodded putting the flute down. Sebastian lead you to Ciel's office. The Lord rose from his desk when he saw you enter. "(Y/N)," He stepped around his desk to take your hand to lead you into the room some more. "Please have a seat." Sebastian bowed and left. You sat down and the Lord returned to his spot behind the desk. He stared at your rather tense form before him. He smirked slightly. "Was it you in the music room just now?" He questioned making small talk. You looked at your feet, feeling that it was a rather ridiculous question before returning your eyes back at the young Lord. "Yes." He nodded looking away. "You are quite a song bird aren't you?" You sat quietly for a moment before speaking, "I appreciate all forms of art." He turned himself to face you, "Very good, now I asked you here today to review the contract." You nodded as he pulled out some papers from his desk drawer. He placed them in front of you and placed a pen nearby. "Let's begin with page one." He started.

"Any questions?" He asked after summarizing each page of the contract. "Yes, just one." Sebastian returned with some tea for the two of you. Ciel looked at you. "Page 3, Line 212. Belmont Tea's and Co will provide Funtom Toys with access to all supplier information, financials, taxation documents, and other similar documentation should owner and CEO, Lady (Y/N) Belmont, perish under any circumstances. I wish for that to be removed." He looked at you and drew a line through the sentence on the contract. "Sebastian, please re-write this page before the Lady signs." Sebastian took the page from the Lord's hand and began to re-write the page. You sipped the tea, it was the tea you had prepared for the Lord's birthday gift. You were impressed in your handy work. After some silence fell the room, Sebastian presented the final page. You initialed were necessary before flipping to the last page. Ciel signed on his line before handing it to you. You paused for moment. Everything seemed to be in order but you still felt uneasy, after all it felt like you were signing you business away. You signed the document as well as your copy and Ciel stamped them to make it official. He rose to file the contract away among his other documents. He handed you the copy. "I am pleased to begin work with you, Lady Belmont." He returned to his seat. "Let us discuss the first steps." You looked at him. "Yes, let's." You spoke, sitting up a bit straighter. "I wish to leave the manor."

The Lord had no reaction to your announcement. "Where will you go?" He questioned, pulling out documents to start review business. You held up the letter from earlier and placed it on the desk. "An old friend of mine offered me lodging in their home near the south coast." He looked the letter and read it over. "Very well, however I will point out that we are to meet at least twice a week on matters of affair as agreed upon in our contract. Page 7, Line 1,126." You frowned realizing that you made the fault of not reading in depth. You flipped to the page and found where it stated as such. You looked back at the Lord. "A trip twice a week to and from the south coast will be tiring my Lady." He pointed out, handing the letter back to you. "My Lord, as we spoke yesterday, it's rather improper for us to be living in the same household for such an extended length." He looked at you and paused before speaking. "Is my hospitality not to your liking?" He frowned at you. You were confused by his responses. "Does he want me to stay? What about our reputations?" You thought. "My Lord," you spoke trying to be patient. "I appreciate all you have offered for me. If there is anything I can do to repay you for your generosity, please let me know." You looked up at him sipping some tea. He put the cup down before speaking, "There is one thing." You stared at him. "Marry me (Y/N)."

Your face had a rather shocked expression. "No." You stated firmly reaching for the tea cup. "(Y/N), I ask that you at least think about my proposal." You shook your head. "(Y/N)," he began to argue "We are practically in a courtship, are we not? It would be good for your business, your future, and your livelihood. You are already well  acquainted with the staff, know the estate, and you will continue to be unrestricted with where you go." You felt angry. "Continue to be unrestricted?" You began raising your voice slightly. "My Lord, I am very restricted here. Marrying you means that I become even more restricted than before." Ciel held up the contract the two of you signed earlier, "This has my written word that everything belongs to you, your family's business and your name. You are always free to go where you wish." He placed it back down. Your eyes followed his hand. You felt your face turn into a rather upset frown. "My Lord, why do you want marriage? There is nothing to benefit from making me your wife." He stood from his seat and sat in the chair next to you. "I get you, (Y/N)." You looked at him in silence, still feeling enraged. "Think on the proposal. For now as far as the public is concerned, we are engaged. That should stop the little rumors some." He frowned and rose from his spot to return to the chair behind his desk. "We'll discuss business later, please leave." You stood from your chair and left the office.

You returned to you room and looked out the window at the snow covered garden. "The Lord is beyond insane to think that I want marriage right now." You thought about the future with him as your husband; having breakfast together, enjoying outings, having children. You quickly paused on that last thought, having children? You shook your head knowing that it will be even longer until you wish to began a family. You sighed slightly and continued to think on it. "It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to marry the Lord." You thought. "After all, he is a dear friend." You stared at some deer in the distance running in the snow. "Friend, huh?" You whispered aloud. "I don't think we truly do view each other as such deep down." You reached for the locket around your neck. "He makes me happy, no matter how cold and unapproachable he can be." You thought. "I know that he does care about me and what matters most to me." You laid on your bed and stared at the ceiling. "But I cannot marry him." You concluded. You rolled over, "Not yet at least." You whispered and smiled slightly.