Home Away From Home

Jemma handed a postcard to Coulson. "I want you to have this," she said.

Coulson looked down at the postcard in his hand. On it was a picture of the lighthouse that stood over the base where they had spent the last few months.

"A picture of our home away from home," she said.

It was the postcard Fitz had left for them to find in the future. On the back was written: "working on it -Fitz"

"And to remind you that your team always works on the problem. No matter what the odds."

Coulson knew she must be thinking about Fitz. He knew she must miss him, he missed him. Fitz was almost like a son to him. But he knew that Simmons was rarely without Fitz. They were best friends, who never left each other's side. Now they had finally gotten married, and he had been taken from her. But Coulson knew that they had been separated before, more than once. No matter the odds they never gave up on finding each other.

Fitz almost drowned saving Simmons. Then when she was pulled through a portal to a far away planet, Fitz never gave up on her, he never stopped looking for her. He dove into the unknown, across the galaxy to save her. And when Fitz was taken to the framework and turned into The Doctor, Simmons went to get him. Even when everyone else gave up on him, Simmons never did. Then when the team was taken to the future, and Fitz was left behind, he did everything to get them back...to get her back.

Coulson knew they would never give up on each other. "And now he's frozen. Out in deep space somewhere. No idea he's already solved it," he said.

"He'll be a little disoriented. But he'll be so happy to know that time is not fixed. It's a fluid ever changing, beautiful thing," she said. "And he really didn't miss much, did he?"

But as she asked the question, she thought about everything Fitz had missed. Going to the future, their wedding, meeting their grandson. She was grateful to have those memories, but she was also sad because Fitz had missed them. She could feel the tears stinging behind her eyes.

"I have not a single doubt that you will find him," said Coulson.

Jemma looked down, trying to hide the tears that had formed in her eyes.