Delusions

Based partly on Lips of an Angel by Hinder And how I perceive it. 

In high school, Tamaki and Kyoya were sweethearts as some said and wrong as other said. Either way Kyoya had no choice but to let Tamaki go after school because staying together with Kyoya's family around would never be good.

Kyoya went to college and Tamaki got kicked out by his father. Kyoya refused to allow Tamaki to be in a place that wouldn't love him as much as he did, so he helped Tamaki move to Paris and find his mother. To live in peace.

As for Kyoya, his father chose a woman he was being told to marry if he wanted anything from his father.

-•-•-•-•-

It was 5am when Kyoya climbed out of bed and into the hall to answer the phone. When he answered the phone his mind blanked when he saw the number. (⏳)

"Why are you calling so late?" He heard the familiar sobs on the other end and why truly worried. "Honey why you crying is everything okay?"

The man on the other end of the line sniffed with a small, "hey Kyoya, why are you so quiet".

"The girl my dad wants me to marry is in the next room asleep. Sometimes I wish she was you."

"I miss you too." Tamaki said sadly.

"I guess we never really moved on. It's really good to hear you're voice, saying my name. It sounds so sweet coming from the lips of an angel." Hearing the way Tamaki laughed, he felt weak, almost like all the excitement of being with Tamaki in high school was rushing back to him.

Hiding in the music room, chaste and quick kisses, short notes, the back of his old notebook full of their photos and just laying down in one or the other's room only holding hands. They were times when everything was simple and their family hadn't forced lives on them quite yet.

"And I never want to say goodbye but I know that's what will happen, but god you make it hard to stay here, when you remind me of everything we could have had."

"I know and even if I don't agree, I'm glad you picked up though."

Kyoya could practically hear Tamaki's smile though the phone. He couldn't help but think back to high school and the Host Club.

Kyoya's grip tightened on the phone slightly, he remembered having to let Tamaki go at graduation 5 years back to the day now. "It's funny that you're calling me tonight." His voice shook slightly with pain as he licked his dry lips in habit.

"I know it's not the best time, 5am and all, but I had a dream about it..." Tamaki trailed off, his voice more steady than before.

"Ya, I had one too. Does he know you're talking to me again? It won't start a fight, will it?"

"No, I- uh... I left him. That's why I was upset." It was only now that Kyoya noticed the sound of cars on the bother end of the line.

"Did he..."

"No, it was just that one time. He was drunk but I know I had to get out of there. It wasn't a good relationship and hasn't been since... then."

"Im glad you got out. For a moment I thought I was going to have to fly to Paris and drag you out."

Kyoya didn't want to make like of the situation, after all it had been a hard year for Tamaki and it wasn't a good relationship he had just left but Tamaki was a romantic and would definitely be heartbroken.

"Does she know?"

"No, I don't think she has a clue. It really is good to hear your voice."

"Hey Kyoya."

"Ya?"

"I do. You asked a long time ago and it probably doesn't still stand, but I do."

"Are you talking about..."

"Yes! Kyoya, I know you don't want to leave your family behind, but I do really want you in France with me. I have a place here in Paris and I'm in need of a roommate now. You got me here so I do want to keep you. I know we haven't seen each other in years, but we have never once lost touch for more than a month or 2."

"Tamaki, you know I can't. I'm supposed to be getting married, to a woman no less."

"Kyoya, I know you and you know I'm right when it comes to this sorts of thing. She's a wonderful woman and would no doubt be an amazing wife, but you won't be able to feel the same. You never have in the time I've known you, so please give her a chance to marry someone who will love her the way she needs and come to Paris with me!" Tamaki was pleading by now. "You're my rock and I need you."

That night, Kyoya packed after work and left a note explaining everything. When he got off the plane he saw Tamaki waiting, but as he got closer, he saw what he dreaded most. He saw what Tamaki had done to himself and what his ex had done to him.

He deserved some props for the adequate coverage of his bruises with makeup, but Kyoya knew Tamaki, every detail, and his face was never this puffy even when sick. His skin sparkled which was the absolute give away. He wasn't standing with any hint of posture, in fact it made Kyoya look several inches taller. He also leaned greatly to one side, showing that he was nursing his the other side.

The worst, though, was what Tamaki had done to himself. He was skinny, more so than ever. His shirt hung loosely about him, his arms frail, his ribs would show, no doubt. Tamaki never wore such loose clothes in public because he use to show what little muscle he had, his healthy yet thin figure but now his clothes were baggy. No doubt to keep off his bruises, but also because he was far too skinny now to ever be healthy. There were large bags under his eyes and his face was tear stained.

Kyoya dropped his bag in front of Tamaki, too scared he'd hurt him to hug him. Instead he held his face in his hands, running his fingers over the puff of his cheeks as gently as he could. True worry played in his eyes. (⌛️)

When his brain snapped back to reality, he answered the phone.

"Hello Tamaki. Why are you calling me so late- are you okay? Why are you crying?" The only reply was muffled sobs. "Hold on, I'm going to move, my... my... uh... she's in the next room." Kyoya got up, phone to his ear as he walked down the hall. "It's really good to hear your voice."

Honey why are you calling me so late?