Breaks and Repairs

Tamaki was sitting on the sofa in his and Kyoya's tiny apartment, Kyoya held tightly against his chest. Tamaki was gently rocking them, playing with his boyfriend's hair as he hummed the time of an old song his mother sang to him.

They were both in college but neither had classes that day. Kyoya has just got home from work and was ready to give up after another round of long hours of customers yelling at him and one of his coworkers objectify him. He was on the brink of a breakdown and needed help to calm down or at least support when he did.

Tamaki was more than happy to be there. He softly kisses Kyoya's forehead and buried his face into the dark mess of hair. He had put Kyoya's glasses on the end table of the sofa so they would be safe and so he could held Kyoya closer.

He could see the stress on Kyoya's face lessen, but that meant nothing as Kyoya would simply try to bury the stress.

Tamaki sighed and smiled. He was worried for his boyfriend, but didn't know how to help. He knew that Kyoya needed to let go. He knew Kyoya hates crying because he feels weak, but if he didn't then it would be worse than last time.

Kyoya was always stressed and it built up when he didn't show it. The dam he built was going to break sooner or later and would do so over tiny things.

Kyoya was starting to feel better as he listened to Tamaki's humming reverberating in his chest. He was stressed as Hell but he wouldn't admit it.

The song Tamaki hummed was an indeterminate mix of delicate and sweet yet bitter and melancholy. He didn't quite know the words or the name of the song but the tune was clear. He could pick it out slowly on piano even if he had to do it himself.

The pair sat there in a comfortable quiet because they were there together. Tamaki began running Kyoya's back and gave him a kiss atop his head and reburied his head in Kyoya's dark hair.

That's how they stayed for the afternoon. When it was time to shower, Tamaki carried and washed Kyoya and took him to their room. They both dressed as they were now clean and climbed into bed.

Tamaki held Kyoya close and when he pretended to sleep, Kyoya finally let go and let his wall tumble. He didn't even notice Tamaki hushing and holding him tighter. He felt himself break but knew Tamaki would help him repair as much as he could, just like last time. His tears burned against his face, it felt like fire to him as he hated it so much.

When Kyoya's tears began to slow, Tamaki kissed his forehead softly and whispered a quiet 'I love you' before the silence and the comfort came.