15|The Lies We Speak

vote | comment | follow

Alex knew something was wrong the moment he got that text, he knew Ron must've seen the flicker of hesitation cross his face.

"I'm assuming someone needs you." Alex glanced up at him, leaning on the counter, arms crossed over his chest, raised eyebrows and his eyes glancing between Alex and the phone.

Alex nodded curtly, slipping it into his back pocket. "Tell Aimee I'll come see her later," or tonight, whichever time was best plus Ron didn't need to know that.

Pivoting on his heels, Alex walked out, his mind trailing back to the one text he had the misfortune of reading.

He pondered while walking, the only reason his brother would text more or less try to contact him over a phone, meant someone had fucked up big time in the organization. He could care less about what his brother thought of him but it was the god father Alex was worried about.

He was just on the verge of breaking omerta, plus their 'code of silence' that could get him killed. 'Could' because he had yet to know the punishment a blood member would receive.

The same wouldn't stand for Ameena, she'd die in less than a day if he wasn't careful. He cursed internally, he would not risk that happening, especially since she was already supposed to be dead.

He left the apartment in a hurry skipping the elevator and heading straight for the stairs taking fast paced steps without a break until he reached the last step at the bottom, he slipped out from the back door eyes narrowed cautiously as he scanned the surroundings for anything off. His father's men could've been in the neighborhood, stalking him from the shadows, camouflaged as casual passersby, even grandma's. Fortunately, Alex knew all his ways.

After all, his father did raise him.

Everything looked mundane, and nothing out of order. Assured that no one was stalking, he straightened and slipped on a pair of shades heading for the black Audi at the far end of the lot.

He didn't want to make the same mistake.

Especially when it was his baby girl's life at stake.

• • •

The warehouse was as one would expect it, an old almost dilapidated building that looked as if it was abandoned by the military. Jagged fences circled the land that the enormous building stood on, trees broken and discarded around dried bushes, the windows of the building were shattered and some edges chipped off like dried cement.

From the outside it screamed death and danger to anyone who dared, that was most likely one of the reasons why the street was just as deserted.

Alex turned the steering wheel of his car with ease onto the gravel path pausing just as the wide rusty gate, almost unnoticeable, slid open automatically. Bright lights flickered on as he drove down the sloping road hearing the familiar crunch of his tires driving over the gravel on top of the flattened rocks that were firmly embedded into the ground. It was a sound he would never forget, neither was the foreboding darkness as his car got swallowed the darkness while the gates slid shut.

The inside was a stalking contrast to the outside. With the exterior being dark and deserted as if it were a scene from a zombie film, the interior was totally alive with movement, ranging from the loud background noise of heavy machinery to the sounds of both male and female chatting, not to to mention the engineers, cars being lifted up on jacks, sparks from machines as they fixed damaged cars and engines being lifted by cranes to other sections.