26| Need

vote | comment | follow

Ameena couldn't help it, she found herself following Alex up the stairs and around the house until both reached the front door.

She tried to keep the pout from her face and smile yet for some reason her insides were unsettled. Not that she didn't want him to go, her chest just felt heavy.

"Be careful," she found herself whispering to his back as he disappeared through the front doors, then, as she feared, she was alone once again.

She looked down, arms twisting into each other as she tried to calm her agitation. It never occurred to her until now the gravity of him leaving their only safehouse, not that this 'Mark' person sounded bad but...what if.

Plus, she had no fucking way of knowing he was alright. Taking deep breaths she forced a smile onto her face.

"Not now Ameena, you're overthinking it," she whispered to herself, closing her eyes and lifting her head heavenwards to fight the oncoming nausea brought on by the jerky thumps of her heart.

She almost jumped out of her skin as she opened her eyes and saw Alex standing over her, looking just as worried as she felt.

Rationality left her body and she pounced on him, legs wrapping around his waist, her arms going around his neck in a vice like grip as she pressed her head into his shoulder, finding comfort in his scent that blanketed her.

He stumbled a bit at her unexpected mounting, laughing a little as he righted himself, hands settling on her back.

"Is the meeting cancelled," she asked a bit hopefully, her voice muffled in his shirt.

"No," he replied making her heart drop into her stomach, "I saw your face before I left and I had to come back."

"What's wrong," he continued softly, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Well... I just... It's just that..." Ameena bit down on her lips, her cheeks felt hot as she tried to explain her feelings in the best way possible.

"Aimee, listen, as much as I hate it, I really have to go and draw up a plan with Mark and anyone else who's on my side. I have to guarantee a safe passage so I can bargain, my father is the only one who can get us out of this. Primarily, that's why my brother doesn't want me to get to him."

Ameena's hand tightened in his shirt, she hadn't second guessed his departure down in the basement but the closer he got to the door the more her heart had gotten this sinking feeling.

"As much as I hate to leave you, this needs to be done," the sigh that followed his words were more of resignation. Ameena tried to smile, but couldn't.

"Why not let him come here?" She murmured, dread was still there, she had a bad feeling about him leaving.

"I don't want him to know our location if he decides to stab me in the back, and I really don't want him to blurt it out either if they were to detain and torture him."

Ameena nodded, that made sense. At least someone was thinking rationally.

"Look at me Aimee," she could hear the smile in his voice as she raised her head and stared up at him.

"I'll be safe," Alex spoke "I promise."

Suddenly the feeling of a cool wall pressed up against her back, and her legs tightened reflexively.