Chapter 22

Chapter 22

-The Past

Anna's POV

Once everyone is out, Bane and I walk to the living to sit on the couch. I am still in shock. With everything that's going on and now this, my head is starting to spin.

"Are you okay?" I look at him once he asks the question. To be fair, I should be the one asking him that. All of this drama puts him in a terrible place. His friend, James trying to kill me, finding out that his sister is alive and the very next day finding his mate in danger, all of this must be driving him crazy. Yet, here he is worrying about me.

"I am fine." His hand is over my shoulder and he starts drawing smooth circles with his thumb on my shoulder. It's soothing and I can't help but smile at him. Soon, the instant peace leaves my body once I see the worry on his face. "Bane?" I call his name softly even though he is looking at me. He nods for me to go on. "I want to know what is happening." He becomes uncomfortable. He sits straight.

He takes a second before looking at me and sighing deeply. For a minute I think he is not going to give out even a grain of information. "What do you want to know about?" He asks meeting my eyes. I almost lose myself in those deep sea blue orbs.

"I know that James was your friend. He said that you killed his mate." Once I say that he takes a deep breath looking at me. "Before you say anything, I don't believe to be true. I don't think you did that. But how does Alika fit into this whole thing? If she is alive, where is she?"

"Alika is James mate." I don't seem surprised by this piece of information. I have suspected it but thought that might not be true. "The rogues have her." I take a deep breath after listening. I did not certainly expect this though. I try to calm myself down and process my brain to ask the net question.

"If she is your sister, then why would he think you would kill her?"

He gets silent looking into space as though remembering the past. His forehead is creased. I move to sit much closer than we already are. I hold his hand in between my palms giving him my whole attention. "I and James were friends since my childhood. Alika was always our little girl. After our parents death, James convinced his parents to let him stay with us.

"James always had a soft spot for her. Like he knew she was his mate, although he didn't. It must be his wolf that felt the pull. Although Alika never harboured such feeling for him, she just cared about him in a friendly way. Once she turned eighteen, we celebrated their union. They were mates. It's like a fairytale and dream come true. All was going well until the attack on James pack."

Bane's POV

"Where are they now?" I ask James's Beta.

"They are near to the border. They might reach here in half an hour."

"How many?" James asks.

"Maybe a hundred."

Fuck! Hundred is huge!

"Our warriors, there are seventy-five of them," James says. He thinks for a minute. "Get the women and children to the secret basement in omegas house."

"I will call my pack for the backup. But we have to make the strategy." Even though it might take them an hour for them to reach, it might still help.

"James. Bane!" Alike comes in going into James's arms.

"Al, you should not be here." He says pulling her arm's length, still holding her.