Chapter 4

When I walk into Aaron's bedroom, I see Juliette is already splayed out on the bed, sleeping.

Aaron walks out of his office, carrying his gloves.

The door closes behind me with a click. I walk towards him, already starting my protest.

"What the hell was that display? What exactly were you trying to prove? Huh?"

His explanation better be good. "You know how the soldiers get every time there's a woman here. Better than anyone else. So I figured I might as well show them what she can do."

I look to Juliette for a moment, then give a stiff nod.

"Trust me, I know." I stare a little longer before turning back to him.

"Well, whats your plan? Or do you not have one?"

He smirks, "I already told you I have plans." I lean against the wall, still facing him.

"No, you said you had ideas. That's nowhere near the same thing. Ideas are half-formed plans." He lets out a small laugh, then is quiet. I interrupt the sudden silence,

"She hardly ate anything at dinner. You should go get her something to eat. I doubt she'll actually eat it, but she must be thirsty at the least." I pause, "I really hope this works."

Aaron doesn't say anything, but I can tell he agrees. He starts to make his way to the door, "I'll be back." He steals one more glance at Juliette before retreating out the door.

• • • •

Juliette begins to stir, and Aaron goes and sits on the side of the bed, carefully gripping her shoulders with his gloved hands.

She opens her eyes, "How are you feeling?" He asks.

She blinks a few times, then she's swinging her fists blindly, and yelling for him to get away from her, but he just smiles, laughs a little.

Lowers her hands to rest at her sides. "Well at least you're awake," He sighs. "You had me worried there for a moment."

"Get your hands away from me." She's trying to control her trembling voice. He waves his sheathed fingers in front of her face.

"I'm all covered up. Don't worry."

"I hate you." She says.

"So much passion." Aaron laughs again. He stares at her, she turns away.

He stands up, taking a short breath. "Here," He says, "I brought you food."

Juliette sits up, surveying the room, her eyes focus on me, and she startles. She mumbles something like 'I didn't know you were in here.'

"What was that?" I say, cupping a hand around my ear.

She hesitates, then asks, "So-you-you're Twins, right?"

"Yes" it's a short, clipped answer, and I remember I need to be softer.

"Your poor mother." She says.

Me and Aaron snap our heads in her direction, answering simultaneously.

"What did you say?" We both say the words with more force than we meant to.

Juliette shrinks back a little. "I-it-it's-it was a j-joke." Aaron stands up, swiftly, sparing me a glance as he makes his way slowly across the room.

Juliette looks confused, but makes a move to change the subject. "Where am I?" She says, still looking around.

He grabs the tray of food, looks around the room and says, "This is my bedroom."