Chapter 42

Eva's POV

"Oh, look a fish!" Ella calls as she begins to run towards the dying ocean.

Kenji loops an arm around her waist, pulling her backwards.

"That water is disgusting, J. You shouldn't get near it."

"What? Why?" She says, still pointing. "Can't you see the fish? I haven't seen a fish in the water in a really long time."

"Yeah, well, it's probably dead."

"What?" She looks again, squinting. "No—I don't think—"

"Oh, yeah, it's definitely dead," Nazeera says from a few feet away.

It's the first thing she's said in Ella's presence all day.

I look over at her, and notice she's staring at me. I can't tell what she's thinking, so I look next to me, at Alexis, wondering if she can.

I hope she doesn't know about me and Nazeeras conversation. Not yet, at least.

I don't want her to think I was withholding anything from her.

"I think we better get back to base, J."
Kenji says, checking his watch. "Castle needs to talk to you ASAP."

I notice Alexis tense up beside me. She forms her hands into fists, clenching them.

"Again?" Ella asks, seemingly irritated.

Kenji nods. "Yeah, and I have to talk to the girls about their progress with James, remember? Castle wants a report. By the way, I think Winston and Alia are finally done fixing your suit, and they actually have a new design for you to look at when you have a chance. I know you still have to get through the rest of your mail from today, but whenever you're done maybe we could—"

"Hey," Nazeera says, waving to the two as she walks towards them. "If you guys are heading g back to base, could you so me a favor and grant me clearance to walk around the sector on my own today?" She smiles. "I haven't been back here in over a year, and I'd like to look around a little. We what's changed."

"You could've asked me," Alexis asks, surprised, yet impassively still at the same time.

She turns to me a spilt second, then to Alexis.

She tilts her head. "Sorry, Alex. I didn't think you'd want to be bothered by such requests."

Alexis narrows her eyes, peering at Nazeera through the slits. Her back seems to straighten even more, if possible, her posture stiffening, like it's a reflex.

The simple movement is almost alarming, the way she holds her self as she keeps her steadying gaze on Nazeera.

"Hey," Kenji breaks in, cutting the tension that's beginning to form between the two.

"Why don't I just show you around base myself, on second thought?" He says to Nazeera.

"I thought you said you had a bunch of things to do?"

"What? No." He laughs. "Zero things to do. I'm all yours. For whatever. You know."

"Kenji—"  Ella interrupts.

He flicks her in the back to shut her up, and she growls at him.

I force back the laughter that is making its way up my throat.

They talk for a little while longer, but I don't notice until Kenji and Nazeera are suddenly gone that I've just been focused on a tiny point in the distance.

I got caught up in my own little world.

I wish that could happen more often.

My eyes wander to Ella, and I notice she seems lost in the same train of thought, staring out at the dying ocean.