Chapter 30

*Skip the chapter if you weren't a fan of chapter 55-56😬*

Kenji is waiting in the tank when we get back.
He managed to find it. Eva's is parked a little to the side, but she says she's gonna leave it there and get it later.

Thankfully, Kenji doesn't say a word as we clamber into the tank.

Aaron and Juliette are sitting in back, Eva's driving, and I'm sitting next to her.

No one says a thing the entirety of the ride back to base.

When we arrive, Kenji and Juliette get out of the car, but not before she whispers something to Aaron.

They're invisible, obviously, and at the last second we decide its best for Eva to go with them. She protests, but knows she can't for long.

Once they are all out, I numbly scoot over to the passenger seat, and Aaron gets out of the car into the drivers seat.

We bring the tank to its parking space, and shut it off.

For a moment we just sit there.

Finally I manage to mumble a few words.

"See you later,"

"Yeah." Aaron whispers back.

I don't really know how I get to my room, I just know that I'm standing in the middle of it.

I take off my coat, kick off my shoes, although I'm feeling immobilized, indifferent.

I sit down on the edge of my bed. It's not long until I hear the elevator doors open.

"Alexis?"

Her accent echos from my office.

"Are you—"

She's standing in the doorway, and she moves toward me after a minute.

I look up at her, and she freezes.

At first, I think she feels pity, the need to help me. But then I realize it's something else, something that I've been ignoring because I didn't think it was possible.

But truth be told, it's been gnawing at her this whole time, as it has me. I couldn't tell for a while.

Somehow, I have a feeling it's too late, though.

"Are you alright?" She shakes her head.
"Stupid question."

"I don't—I can't do this, right now. I'm so tired, and I don't want to have to pretend. I don't have the capacity—"

"What are you talking about? Pretend what?"

"I just—" I tilt my head back, lock my hands behind my neck. Let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Never mind," I say, beginning to walk to my office.

"Alexis, please. What are you pretending? What do I have to do with—" she stops talking when she sees the look on my face.

"Because," I say, not believing I'm about to tell her this. "I'm in love with you, Eva." But I sound tired as I say the words.

"I have been since my birthday last year, and I never stopped."

She opens her mouth to speak. Closes it again.

I see her swallow.

"Alexis, I—"

"No, don't. Please don't say anything. You asked, I told you." I say the next part quietly.

"I don't have the energy to discuss it or how badly timed it is, or—"