Chapter 39

I have never dreaded a conversation more than I have right now.

Castle said he thought of going to Aaron first, to tell him of all this madness, inform him that he must tell Juliette the vast majority of knowledge she should've known long ago.

I told him, no, I'm glad you came to me, because my brother doesn't know, not yet. I told him that he has suspicions, but something happened when we were younger, and he doesn't remember any of this.

He was shocked. But, somehow, and annoyingly, he kept on pushing for a more desirable answer.

I eventually got up and left, with Castle calling to me that he really must know, as must Juliette.

I spent the entirety of the walk here, to my room—our quarters, thinking and overanalyzing every detail.

I've stopped at the end of the hall, staring at the door. A gnawing feeling has now filled my stomach and I'm not sure if it will go away.

I take one last glance at my clock. 13:01, it says.

I was talking with Castle for an hour.

I've just gained the courage to begin walking to Aaron's door, when it opens.

Juliette comes out, sticking her head in the doorway once more, and saying something to someone inside. She closes the door, walking in the opposite direction, and attempting to calm her wild hair. I can easily say it wasn't like that two hours ago.

When I see part of her top tucked in to her jeans, it confirms what I was thinking.

I sigh, but am relieved.

I hesitate a moment after Juliette walks away, then follow her.

Maybe I'm procrastinating, or maybe I'm just curious. Probably a little bit of both.

Plus, I'd much rather wait to speak with Aaron until he's at least half way decent.

Juliette takes the elevator down, presumably to the main floor, so I take the stairs.

I go two at a time, and, even in heels, still beat Juliette.

She must've stopped at least once on a floor.

She gets off a few seconds after I reach the bottom, strutting out, and looking confident.

Kenji suddenly pops into the hallway out of no where.

"Where the hell have you been?" He demands Juliette.

"What? Nothing," She says, and I don't even have to see her face to know she's blushing.
"I just—"

"What do you mean nothing?" Kenji says, nearly stepping on her heels as she tries to outpace him. "I've been waiting down here for almost two hours."

"I know—" she's saying, attempting to walk faster, "I'm sorry—" I follow along at an assumed pace on the side of them. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, why I am suddenly so interested in what Juliette and Kenji have to talk about.

But I think I'm just looking for an escape.
From everything. My father, and the burden he's brought upon me. Eva. God, I cannot allow myself to think about Eva.

Kenji grabs Juliette last shoulder, spinning her around. He takes one look at her face, and—
"Oh, gross, J, what the hell—"

"What?" Juliette asks in all innocence.

He glares at her.

She clears her throat.

"I told you to ask him a question."