Chapter 7

The soldiers burst through the door right after Juliette slips through the window.

They look back and forth between us.

"THE WINDOW," I shout at my men.

"DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY."

Most of the soldiers run to the window and begin pulling up the rope, and 4 stay and untie our restraints.

Me and Aaron stand up at the same time and run to the window, peering over the edge just in time to see Juliette let go of the rope.

She falls about two stories and Kent catches her, both of them falling into a tangle of limbs.

Aaron is shouting orders, and they're up and running and we don't have enough time.

I pull out my handgun, aim for the back of Kent's head, finger on the trigger.

I'm about to shoot, when I'm nearly knocked out of the window by a stumbling soldier.

My gun falls, but I manage to catch myself.

"Damnit!" I yell, slamming my hands flat on the windowsill.

I turn to look at the soldier who ruined my shot.

It's Kishimoto.

And now I'm sure he did it on purpose.

Aaron runs both his hands through his hair.

"Someone shut off that damn alarm!" He commands, to no one in particular.

"Put together two groups, and hurry, we're not stopping until we find them." He says.

"Alert Central Command." I say. "Tell them to initiate the rebel alarm to the compounds."

I say, all in one breath. "I'll lead the first group." Aaron says.

"And I, the second." I add.

Aaron looks at me, his face made of stone, but I can see through the cracks.

He's worried.

He's conflicted.

He's scared.

I can tell he wants to talk to me, but I have to say something first.

"Kishimoto!" I demand.

He steps forward, "Yes Ma'am?"

Before he can make another move, I duck behind him pinning his arm behind his back, and pushing him against the nearest wall.

"Roland, Curtis!" The two soldiers are beside me, trying and failing to hide their discomfort, their fear.

"Take Kishimoto and question him. Whatever means necessary."

Surprisingly, Roland speaks up. "If you don't mind me asking why?"

I turn my head to face him, still keeping my hold on Kishimoto.

"Why?" I say with ice in my voice.

Roland swallows hard, and his jaw tightens; he's afraid.

"Because, this soldier was close with the rebel soldier who kidnapped Juliette Ferrars. And I have trouble believing he didn't know about it. Especially because he just stopped me from shooting said rebel, by nearly pushing me out a damn window!"

Everyone is quiet, and I realize the blaring has stopped, but it takes the alarm outside a few seconds to start it's loop.

"So that's why, soldier!" I spit the last word.