Chapter 17

Almost everyone has cleared out, the only people still here are Castle, Kent, Juliette, a sleeping James, and the healer twins.

I've tried learning as many names as I can here, mostly because there was nothing else to do.

I'm still sitting away from the rest of them when Castle begins talking to the others.

I'm only half-listening, but I believe it's something about Kenji.

I walk over to check his vitals one more time, again, not knowing why.

I mumble something about how they are good, and he should be fine, and I'm walking to the door as Juliette calls after me.

"Warner,"

I stop, turn around.

"Why did you save him? You could've let him die before anyone could help him, but you didn't. Why?"

I pause. "I honestly have no idea."

She hesitates. "Well, thank you."

I nod, and look away, pausing before I walk out of the room.

• • • • • •

I'm wandering the long hallways of Omega Point, trying to watch for Aaron, but at some point I have to sit down.

I don't know how long I'm sitting there before I hear footsteps coming towards me from down the hall.

I don't open my eyes until I feel hands on my shoulders.

My automatic response is to roll underneath the grip, and hold the persons shoulder in a certain way, ready to dislocate it, no matter how tired I am.

But this unknown person knows what I plan to do, and stops me before I can even make a single move.

"Hey, hey, Alex. Calm down. It's me."

Now do I finally focus on the face before me. It's my reflection.

I finally relax, let out a breath of relief.

"Sorry. Didn't know it was you."

"I hope not," Aaron says. "You just tried to attack me-"

"Self-defense," I say.

"Sure," He says, sarcastic.

"Now," he's suddenly serious. "You want to tell me why the hell you saved Kishimotos life?"

I shake my head, "Guilt? Instinct? I don't know. I couldn't give you a straight answer."

I sigh.

He reaches out his hand and pulls me up.

"We have to leave this place. They think we are going to fight in the war tomorrow. We can't. I won't."

"Neither will I. Do you remember the way out? I believe you were more conscious than I was when they brought us in."

"Yes, I do. But I have to do something else first."

I look at him, a question in my eyes.

"What?"

He stares me in the eyes, a look of indecision on his face. "I'm going to ask Juliette to come with us."

"What?" I say, my voice a loud whisper. "Have you lost your mind? She shot you, Aaron!"

"I have my reasons-"

"Yeah, I know your reasons. You love her, and when you told her that, you kissed her! She fucking shot you for it! I thought you could read people's emotions. It's like you were asking for it, if you knew how she felt."