Chapter 41

We've all decided to join Juliette on her morning walk.

All morning I have sensed something off about Aaron. He seemed—and still seems—uncertain, almost.

The strangest part is, I can't tell what it is, specifically, he's uncertain about.

I convince myself it must just be result of Haider and Nazeeras arrival, that must be it.

But every time I lock onto this solution, it's all out of proportion. It has to be more than some old friends. Something might be happening with Juliette, or, perhaps, he's simply been thinking about our mom and dad.

I know that's reason enough to through him off edge. And the symposium in two days cannot possibly be helping.

I also know I can't judge. I haven't quite been myself today either. After this unplanned walk on the beach together, I'll have to tell Aaron. Everything. And I hate to admit I have absolutely no idea how it will turn out.

Unintentionally, Haider, Aaron, Juliette, Eva and I have created a group, with Nazeera and Kenji walking a few paces behind.

Haider had overheard Juliette and Kenji speaking about their walk, and insisted on joining them. We obviously couldn't let her go alone.

I know Nazeera wouldn't do anything to harm Juliette, but Aaron doesn't. He still believes she's dangerous, untrustworthy.

I'm not going to bother arguing with him this time.

"So," Haider says to Aaron and I. "Will you both be attending the Continental Symposium this year?"

"Of course," we answer quietly. "We will attend as we always have," Aaron says.

"Will you be returning home to attend your own event?" I ask, daring to be hopeful. But that hope is quickly crushed be his next words.

"Unfortunately not. Nazeera and I were hoping to accompany you to the North American arm, but of course—I wasn't sure if Supreme Commander Ferrars"—he glances at Juliette—"would be making an appearance, so—"

She leans in, eyes wide. "I'm sorry, what are we talking about?"

Haider frowns, only a little, but I can feel the depth of his surprise.

"The Continental Symposium," he says. "Surely you've heard of it?"

Juliette looks at Aaron, confused, and then—

"Oh, yes, of course," she says, remembering. "I've gotten a bunch of letters about that. I didn't realize it was such a big deal."

I have to fight the strong urge to cringe, as does Aaron and Eva, I notice.

I close my eyes momentarily. This was an oversight on both of our parts. We should've told her more about it.

It's a massive production.

Haider tilts his head, analyzing her.
"Yes, it's a very big deal. Our father," he says, "is busy preparing for the Asia event, so it's been on my mind quite a bit lately. But as the late Supreme Anderson never attended public gatherings, I wondered whether you would be following in his footsteps."

"Oh, no, I'll be there," Juliette says quickly. "I'm not hiding from the world the way he did. Of course I'll be there."

Haider widens his eyes slightly. He looks from Aaron, to me, to Juliette, and back to Aaron.

"When is it, exactly?" She asks, and I can feel Haider's curiosity grow suddenly more intense.

"You've not looked at your invitations?" He asks, all innocence. "The event is in two days."