Chapter 5

I'm waiting for Aaron and Juliette at the door that leads to the roof.

We're having an assembly, and she needs to be there. After about 10 minutes, I see them exit the elevator, Aaron walking in front of Juliette as she tries to catch up in her 3 inch heels.

"Finally," I say, opening the door for them. As Juliette passes by me, I offer her 4 words.

"Welcome to your future." The sunlight seems to momentarily blind her, and she almost stumbles over her feet, but Aaron catches her by the elbow.

"We're going outside." She says, as if it's the craziest thing in the world.

"What are we doing outside?"

"We have some business to take care of." I say.

She must have done something to specifically piss Aaron off because he hasn't said a word since he arrived.

He checks his inside pocket and pulls out his gun, inspecting it. I do the same, Incase there's any trouble.

We both finally turn and read the expression on her face. I almost laugh.

"Don't worry. It's not for you." He says.

"Why do you have guns? Why are we up here?" She asks a lot of questions.

We both slip our guns into our pockets, and walk to the edge of the roof, motioning Juliette to follow.

I can see her hesitation, and then astonished features as she looks over the lines and lines of perfectly organized soldiers.

At the same time, Aaron and I pull out our square mesh headphones, press them to our lips, hands to the side.

"Sector 45." Aaron says, and the whole group shifts.

"We have two matters to discuss today." I say.

"The first, is standing by my side." All eyes snap in Juliette's direction.

"Juliette, come here, please." He says. She inches into view, and he slides his arm around her.

She flinches, but doesn't pull away.

"Jenkins. Would you please step forward?" I say, my voice booming over the yard.

"Jenkins had the pleasure of meeting Juliette, just last night." Aaron says.

The tension among the soldiers is painfully obvious.

"I hope you'll all greet her with the same sort of kindness," he adds. "She will be with us for some time, and will be a very valuable asset to our efforts. The Reestablishment welcomes her. I welcome her. You should welcome her."

I finish for him. They shift again, onto their knees.

We wait a full 30 seconds until letting them up. "Good." He says.

The soldiers rise, and take their original stance.

"The second matter at hand," I say. "Is much more pleasant than the first, Delalieu has a report for us."

We stare at them for a long time, letting the fear sink in. No one moves. "Delalieu." Aaron says, "You may step foreword."

I nod, almost imperceptibly, in our lieutenants direction. "We have a charge against Private 45B- 76423. Fletcher, Seamas." He recites.

A pause.

"Fletcher." Aaron says, and several hundred necks snap in the same direction.

Fletcher steps out of line. Delalieu speaks again,