Chapter 37

Eva's POV

I'm sitting in the corner of the training room, taking small bites of my breakfast. Juliette's friends are still living down here, but only until their quarters are finished. That was something put together by Aaron and Alexis.

I woke up this morning to her, dressed for the day, and finishing straightening her hair in the mirror. When she noticed I was awake, she left as soon as possible, not making eye contact with me.

I really screwed up. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her all morning, and I have no idea what I should do to try and make it up to her.

I look up to someone saying my name. It's Ella. I've recently realized its near impossible for me to call her by a name that's not hers. I know however, for the sake of everything not falling to pieces, I have to go against what my mind is telling me, and call her the name given by a psychopath.

Also known as my girlfriends father.

"Can I sit?" She asks.

I stare at her a moment, then lazily motion to the spot next to me.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I say, not wanting to bring up the subject.

"Bullshit," she says quietly, surprising me a little. "What's really going on?"

I let out a breath. Whether she knows or not, she's my sister. I need to be able to share these things with my sister, right? I've always strived to have as close of a relationship as Aaron and Alexis have. If I want that, I need to try.

"It's Alexis, she and I got in a—fight."

"Did she do something? I know she can be—difficult, at times."

I attempt a half-laugh, but it just turns into a weird kind of noise.

"No, this ones all me."

She frowns. "What did you do?" She asks softly.

I look at her.

She must mistake my being hesitant, for her overstepping.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ask, it's not my place—"

"No, you're fine. I just—didn't tell her something I should have." She tries not to show it, but her face gives it away; she's expecting more.

"And then I decided to be a dumbass and say  something about her mother," I shake me head.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure you guys will figure it out. I mean, you've known each other a long time right? You have history, that can always come into play."

At this, I cringe. She's close. She's pretty damn close.

I just nod.

"Hey, princess, get over here, we need to ask you something," Kenji calls.

She looks at me.

"Go, go," I say.

She smiles sadly, then stands up and walks over to her friends.

I stand up, crossing my arms, and leaning against the wall. With nothing better to do, I listen in to their conversation.

"When are we moving into our rooms?" Kenji complains.

"Tomorrow," Ella says. "Warner's been working to get it done as quickly as possible. So just hang on for one more day."

"Girl Warner or boy Warner?" Kenji asks.

Ella raises her eyebrows. "Really? That's what you call them?"