Chpater 31

Juliette's suit is ready.

Everyone is in the training quarters, watching as Alia and Winston excitedly show off their new work.

She has new boots and knuckle braces, too.

She tried it on, and is wearing it when she asks, "What do you think?" To everyone in the room.

"Your suit looks just like mine," Kenji frowns. "I'm supposed to be the one with the black suit. Why can't you have a pink suit? Or a yellow suit—"

"Because we're not the freaking Power Rangers," Winston says, rolling his eyes.

"What the hell is a Power Ranger?" Kenji shoots back.

"I think it looks awesome," James says, grinning big. "You look way cooler than you did before."

"Yeah, That is seriously badass," Lily says. "I love it."

"It's your best work, mates," Brendan says to both Winston and Alia. "Really. And the knuckle—things...," he says, gesturing to Juliette's hands. "Those are just....they bring the whole thing together, I think. It's brilliant."

"You look very sharp, Ms. Ferrars," Castle says to her. "I think it quite suits you," he says, "if you'll forgive the pun."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes.

Aaron rests a hand on Juliette's back, whispers something in her ear.

She blushes.

"Doubt I want to know what he said," Eva whispers from next to me.

I press my lips together to keep myself from smiling.

"Probably not," I say smiling, still facing forward.

I notice Kent staring at Aaron and Juliette.

He looks jealous.

• • • • • •

"Alexis?" I hear Eva whisper.

We're laying in my bed, preparing for what's to come the next day.

"Yes?" I whisper back, turning to face her on my side.

"Are you alright? Truly, I know how close you were with Leila—"

I take in a tight breath, have trouble meeting her eyes.

"Fine. I'm fine." But the words come out wrong.

I lay on my back again.

"Seriously. You don't have to talk about it, but you can if you need to. She was a better mother to me than my own is—she's a good woman."

I close my eyes. "Was. She's not anything anymore." My voice breaks on the words.
"She's in a better place now. Pain-free. She can't be hurt anymore, and no matter how much I miss her, she deserved better."

She doesn't say anything after that.

"Eva?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you. For everything. Always being there even if I pushed you away."

She moves a little closer, her nose grazing my neck. "I'll be here no matter what, remember that. I won't ever leave."

I nod, kissing her forehead.

"We have a long day tomorrow," I say. "We should probably get some sleep."

She sighs.

"I'm not even tired," she says, and I raise my eyebrows.

She yawns, and I laugh a little.