~3~The Class Goes Tech Free ~<3~

(Sep 12, 2014) "Even with all our technology and the inventions that make modern life so much easier than it once was, it takes just one big natural disaster to wipe all that away and remind us that, here on Earth, we're still at the mercy of nature." Famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson couldn't have been more right. In this age, we can't survive without technology. Little did I know, Mr. Matthews had a plan to get us away from that, and realize what matters more.

(Song ~ So Much More Than This - Grace Vanderwaal)

~~~~~

We were standing by our lockers, Maya and I watching as Riley texted Lucas. "Talk to him," Maya exclaimed.

"Why? We have a great text relationship."

"You know what's a better text relationship?" I asked, sighing.

"What?"

Maya and I sighed in unison. "Talk to him." Riley just kept texting him.

"He's right over there."

"It's like four steps." I groaned.

"Noooo! Too complicated over there. Lots can go wrong over there. The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there."

We both turned Riley towards Lucas, and she walked behind them. She opened her mouth to say "hi".

I really thought she was gonna say hi.

We were waiting for her to say hi.

She mouthed it.

I fought back giggles, as she tried again, doing the exact same thing. She tried saying hello, again failing. She looked towards us in distress. Maya elbowed me, and I stopped giggling.

"Talk to him." Maya mouthed. I just stared.

"Here comes funny," I whispered in Maya's ear.

Riley smelled him. Yes. I did say that right. She smelled him. She walked back to us happily. "How'd I do?"

"You smelled him," Maya stated.

"Yup."

"You smelled him is what you did," I stated blankly.

"I walk through life, the way I walk through life."

Maya sighed as we walked into the classroom. "Can we please talk about this?"

Riley typed something into her phone, and Maya received a text. We both looked at it. 'Nope.'

We sat in our desks, waiting for Matthews to start. "You guys don't connect with each other." What do ya call the bay window? "It's like you can't exist without these." He held up his phone. That's not fair... I mean I don't have a phone.

"You use emoticons rather than emotions. You're an unfeeling generation of zombies." Riley Maya and I pretended to be zombies, as Alison Myzell walked into the room. "Stop eating her." He turned to her. "You're late, Miss Myzell."

"My goldfish died." She said emotionlessly.

"You see? This is what I'm talking about. Miss Myzell has clearly suffered a tragic loss. Yet, she does not seem in touch with her actual emotions!"

"Excuse me? I am crying my eyes out. I'm gonna have to leave class early."

She actually left the classroom this time! "Oh, she actually made it out the door this time." Mr. Matthews said, voicing my thoughts.