~11~ 1961

(Present Day)

"Are you absolutely sure you're not still sick?" Cory asked me skeptically.

"It ran its course by Saturday," I reassured him. "Besides, it's not like I had the plague or anything, just a small flu." I hadn't been to school all last week, because of the flu.

Cory gave me an unsure look before continuing. "The '60s, man. Influential musicians like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez playing guitars and singing like prophets. The times, they were a-changin'."

"The class, they are a-sleepin'," I remarked, gesturing to everyone else. "I think I'm the only one listening... and maybe Farkle."

"It's not your fault, dad. It's just the stuff you're saying." Riley said, trying to reassure him.

"I'm talking about the '60s, man." Her dad said in a crazy accent again.

"Nobody cares about when you were our age."

"Riley, it was over 50 years ago. How old do you guys think I am?"

Lucas raised his hand. "There's no right answer to that, sir."

Maya grinned. "You should teach us future class, now give us something we could use."

"Listen, Dad, you're doing a wonderful job up there and we're very happy that you're all jazzed up-"

"But history has nothing to do with us." Maya finished.

I facepalmed. "Uh-oh."

"I'm gonna snap this chalk now."

Lucas caught on. "Uh-oh."

"Snap." He exclaimed, snapping it.

"What did you guys do yesterday?"

"Hang out with my dad and Alexandra." My dad's new girlfriend, Alexandra, and I did not really like each other.

Riley grinned dreamily. "I think I had grapes."

"Do you know what yesterday was?" He asked us.

"Terrible."

"Grapes day."

"It's history. Every decision you make every day, every time you decide to turn left instead of right, you make history and you affect someone else's. And if you refuse to learn that, I guarantee you, you guys will not become the best person you can be. Because history is all about missed opportunities. 'History has nothing to do with us,' wasn't it, Ms. Hart?"

Maya frowned. "Can't remember, it was like five minutes ago."

"Fine. I am not gonna teach you guys about the '60s."

"Here it comes." I groaned as the class cheered.

"You are."

"Yay," Farkle exclaimed as the rest of the class groaned.

"History is alive even if you weren't. But now you're gonna be. You will visit the 1960s and give a report."