~12~ My Best Friend Becomes My Cousin

I heard a tap on my window. I opened the window quickly. "Thanks for coming, Farkle." I said softly.

"What's wrong." He asked immediately.

"She's moving in." I said, gesturing to the boxes you could see in the hallway. "And they're already talking about getting married."

He gave me a hug. "Maybe if you tell him about her, they'll break up."

I shook my head. "My dad barely even talks to me anymore. He and I haven't had a normal father-daughter conversation since right before career day."

"Why didn't you tell me? Or Mr. Matthews? Did you tell anybody?" He asked, his eyes softening.

"No..." I said, taking a deep breath. "I still love him... He's just busy."

"Kenz, he doesn't pay attention to you! You have to see that!"

"I do, Farkle! But he's still my dad!" I yelled.

He nodded, and we both went quiet. Then a small smile appeared. "Do you want to come over and have a nerd marathon?"

"Can we watch Doctor Who?" I asked.

"Of course. Anything you want."

I sighed. "Let me text my dad, just to let him know." Once I texted him, we climbed out my window and walked to Farkle's, where we spent the rest of the night watching Doctor Who, until eventually we fell asleep.

~<3~

I was sitting in class the next morning. I had gone back to my house to change, before going to school. My dad didn't ask where I was all night, but it was fine. I was still cheerful from hanging out with Farkle. Speaking of Farkle, I had no clue where he was.

Suddenly, he ran in and stopped next to Cory, silently asking for Farkle Time. Cory just nodded and said "Yeah, okay." Then sat in Farkle's seat. 

Farkle started to talk. "We're all part of a puzzle called history, we are each a tiny piece of that puzzle that comes together and makes a picture. Well, you're not gonna believe the picture I just found. My great-grandfather Ginsburg worked at a Greenwich village cafe. Riley, Lucas, Kenzie, what year did your great-grandparents visit New York?"

"1961..." We chorused, then looked at each other. "Whoa."

"I knew it! What month?"

"December."

"Say it again."

"Whoa."

 "And what was the name of the club?"

"Cafe..." Lucas started.

"Hey." Riles and I finished.

"That's where my great-grandfather worked. Makenzie, what was your great grandfathers's name?"

"I'm not sure, it just says G."

"You won't believe this, but Ginsburg married a woman named Jane Blue."

"You're joking... That would mean we're..."

"Cousins." He finished, before walking to Maya's table. "Maya, what did you learn about your great-grandmother?"