~28~ Overprotective Family and Our Inner Selves

I was late. I knew it the moment I woke up. I looked around, remembering that I was at Zay's house, and was currently laying on his lap. "Oh my God Zay, get up!" I said, shaking him.

"Morning." He mumbled sleepily.

"No! No morning. We're late for school!" I stood up. I was definitely glad that I wore clothes I could wear to school, and I decided that I would be able to pull my hair into a messy bun. Zay shot up, rubbed his eyes, then grabbed his books, grabbed my hand, and walked out the door.

I could only hope that Maya and Riley had my books. We ran down the street, thankful that Zay's house was close to school. As we walked into class, Cory exclaimed, "Yeah, you're all the same. Detention, all of you!" 

"We didn't even give you an excuse yet." Zay said, going sit down. Cory went to say something, but Maya turned to me as I sat down. 

"Alright, where were you? You didn't come home last night." 

"I fell asleep, and so I just slept on the couch." That was true. Maya raised her eyebrow. "And where'd you sleep, Cowboy?" She asked, turning to Zay. 

"On the couch..." He mumbled. 

Maya turned to me with a pout. "I'm very, very disappointed you." She said, wagging her finger mockingly. 

"If it helps Cory, we did make it to class..." I defended. Right as I said that though, the bell rang. Oh great. This'll be fun.

He shook his head. "Sorry, Mr. Babineaux, Miss Huxton, detention." Riley raised her hand. "What do you want?"

"I'm going to be home late today, daddy."

"I know, honey." 

~<3~

"You did what!?" Lucas exclaimed, crossing his arms. It was lunch, and the gang was pestering Zay and I about last night. 

"I fell asleep on his lap..." I mumbled. 

"And you didn't move her!?" He asked Zay, giving him a deathly stare. It wasn't unknown to our group that Lucas saw me as his little sister, and it was obvious that his brotherly instincts were coming out just about now. 

Zay raised his arms up. "Don't pin this all on me, man. She's the one who laid on my lap in the first place." Lucas simply glared at him.

"Why didn't you wake her up?" Lucas asked, as the rest of us groaned. It was clear he wasn't letting this go that easily. 

"Because he knew that if he did I would've hit him." I said truthfully. "Then I would've gone back to sleep." Zay nodded in agreement. Farkle looked just as unhappy as Lucas, although he hadn't said anything yet.   

"Are y'all doing anything after school?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "We could all go to that new Sno-ball place..."

"Sno-ball?" Riley, Farkle, and Maya asked, causing Lucas, Zay, and I to grin. 

"Think snow cones except like five times better. I think I screamed when I found out about it last night."

"You did." Zay deadpanned. "In my ear."

"Anyway, we should go!"

"Can't... Red Planet Diaries season premiere." Maya and Riley said at the same time. 

"Family business dinner." Farkle said, shrugging.