~21~ Birthdays and Surprises

So, in case you didn't think Maya and I were a lot alike, we have the same birthday. Yes, I swear. Seriously we aren't twins or anything. At least I don't think we are... hold on a second let me see something... Okay, no we're not. Had to ask Katy. Anyway, Maya and I dressed each other up, and left for Riley's house. The minute we stepped into the bay window, Riley handed us a giant present. "Happy 14, girls! How's 14? Tell me what it's like to be 14, but don't leave anything out."

Meanwhile we had been unwrapping the present, which was a box. In a box. In a box. In a box. "So far it is a lot of work." I said sarcastically. 

"Because you know I'll be there soon, and I want to know what I have to look forward to." 

"Well, if you're like me, you can look forward to your mother forgetting your birthday."

"Oh, no she did not!" Riley said, turning to go out the window.

"Where you goin', honey?" Maya and I asked.

"Must talk to your mom."

"Must not get involved."

"Why do you tell me these things if you don't expect me to fix them?"

"When you're 14, you'll understand." We tell her, smirking.

"How could your mother forget your birthday, Maya?" 

"I've stopped trying to figure it out. She was already gone when we woke up this morning. She probably just took an early shift at the diner." 

"Rather than be there for your birthday? Both of your birthdays? Uh-uh." She shook her head, going to go out the window. Maya held her back, while I opened the final box, revealing three rings.

"Riles, a friendship ring." Maya said softly.

"Yeah."

"Three of them." I said, smiling.

"Yeah!"

"I case we lose one."

"No." She said, taken aback.

"Well, anybody else would have just gotten us one." I said.

"No."

"Oh, I get it." Maya said.

"Yeah..."

"One for each hand."

"No." 

I then smiled. "I'll never take this off until I die."

"You'll probably die before me since you're older. Should I tell the people not to take it off your dead corpse body?" I grimaced at the thought, but nodded.

"Yeah, would you do that for us?"

"And, Maya, the other ring..."

"...is for you." She said, putting it on her finger.

"Yeah." Then she gasped. "Oh, no. If you're not there, who's going to tell the people not to take it off my dead corpse body?" Then she smiled. "Happy Birthday, girls."

"Thanks for not forgetting." Maya said, smiling. 

"Oh, yeah, that reminds me."

~<3~

"Are you really here?" I asked, smiling.

"Yep, I'm here." Shawn answered and Riley went to hug him.

"Uncle Shawn!"

"Hey there." Then Maya and I walked over to him. "Hey."