~32~ Surprise Surprise

It's funny how one day you're focused on one thing, and the next thing you know something new comes to ruin your perfect little life. It all started with an e-mail... one that Topanga received. One night Cory and Topanga invited Katy, Maya, and I over for dinner. Oh, and Shawn... they invited Shawn too. At first I was just happy we were finally able to get together and hang out together... like a family. But that happiness was short lived... after we ate dinner, Topanga told us kids to go into the other room, that the adults all needed to talk alone. 

"So are we going to eavesdrop or not?" Maya asked me, and Riley and I nodded in agreement.

"I mean something's off here..." I admitted. "I'm happy that we all got to have dinner, but your parents are hiding something, Riles." 

Riley just shrugged. "They've been acting weird all day. It probably just has something to do with the fact that Uncle Eric won the election last night."

Maya shrugged. "So are we eavesdropping or not?" But, before I could answer, a yell broke through the house.

"You have to be joking Topanga!" It was Shawn.

"Well looks like we don't have to eavesdrop..." I said, shrugging before walking into the other room, Riley and Maya trailing behind me. "Everything okay, Dad?" I asked slowly. 

The room remained silent, and Shawn scoffed. "What, are we not going to tell her?" 

"Tell me what...? What's going on?" I asked, confused.

"Girls, sit down..." Topanga said slowly. We did, and she took in a deep breath. "Makenzie... I got an e-mail from your father... stepfather... he wants you to come live with him."

"Well tell him that I don't want to!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes.

"It's not that simple, Kenz... he's on you're birth certificate... we don't have any physical proof that Shawn's you're real dad, at least not proof that would sustain in court... he has legal rights... and he said that he's willing to get his lawyer involved."

"So that's it... there's nothing we can do about it? I just have to go back to him and Alexandra and leave everybody behind? Where does he even live, anyway?" My eyes filled with tears.

"They live in Sacramento now..."

"Sacramento!?" Shawn and I exclaimed. 

"We're not just going to let this happen, are we?" Shawn asked. "There must be something we can do!" 

"Shawn we need someone who is qualified to take her in. Katy isn't, and neither are Cory and I."

"Then I'll do it. I'm not going to leave my daughter in the hands of some guy who abandoned her. What if he does it again, what then? We're not going to be there to help her this time!"

"If we do have a custody battle, she still has to go there until we have a court date... he's coming pick you up tomorrow..."

"Tomorrow!?" I exclaimed. My life was changing... and I'm not so sure it was for the better.

~<3~

I burst into tears the moment Lucas and Zay arrived, and couldn't be calmed down enough to explain the situation, so as Zay held me close to him, Maya was forced to explain the situation to Farkle, Lucas, and Zay... and also to calm Lucas down after he almost punched our wall.

Zay refused to leave my side. Everyone helped me pack, and then we decided to talk until we could fall asleep. I was not ready for the next day.