3 • ray of sunshine

Let me know your thoughts. This is all pre-written (like 2-3 years ago), but as my previous readers know, your opinions really matter to me and I'm editing and changing aspects anyway.

——————————

I ended up walking with Jasper, Monty and Carter, who were watching Octavia

"Wipe your mouth, boys, you're drooling."

Jasper shoved my shoulder with a laugh, before watching Finn place a purple flower behind Octavia's ear. "Now, that, my friend, is game," he told Monty.

"That, my friend, is poison sumac," Monty countered as he picked up one of the flowers to examine.

Octavia obviously heard, considering she immediately swatted the flower out of her hair. "What? It is?"

"The flowers aren't poisonous," he reassured her. "They're medicinal, calming, actually."

We all looked a little lost as to why Monty knew so much about them. Jasper, seeing our confusion, spoke up, "His family grows all the pharmaceuticals on the Ark."

"Hey, guys, would you try to keep up?" The blonde asked, as if it were actually a question more than a demand.

"Come on, Clarke. How do you block all this out?" Finn questioned.

Her name was Clarke. Why did that sound familiar?

Clarke shifted on her feet, "Well, it's simple. I wonder, 'why haven't we seen any animals?' Maybe it's because there are none. Maybe we've already been exposed to enough radiation to kill us. Sure is pretty, though. Come on."

"Well, isn't she just a ray of sunshine," Carter scoffed as we watched her walk away.

"Someone should slip her some poison sumac," Octavia joked to the rest of us.

We all laughed as we followed after Clarke, Finn keeping up the conversation.

"I got to know what you two did to get busted," he claimed, talking to Jasper and Monty.

"Sumac is not the only herb in the garden, if you know what I mean," Monty smiled slyly.

Jasper nodded, "Someone forgot to replace what we took."

"Someone has apologised like, a thousand times."

Carter laughed, "And apparently I was hanging out with the wrong people back on the Ark."

The boy with the goggles then turned to Octavia and I. "I know why you're here, Theo, but what about you, Octavia? What'd they get you for?"

Octavia's smile melted into a grimace. "Being born," she answered before running to catch up with Clarke.

I sighed and shook my head at Jasper, before rushing after her.

Clarke gestured for us to be quiet as we all approached, crouching down and watching something in the distance. I followed their line of sight to see a deer grazing in a field.